Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

A simple guide to getting a gas safety certificate

2-minute read

Lauren Hellicar

Lauren Hellicar

3 May 2023

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

As a landlord you’re legally required, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to make sure the gas appliances, fittings and chimneys or flues in your rental property are safe for your tenants.

Find out all you need to know about getting a gas safety certificate – we’ve even included a handy checklist to make the process as quick and easy as possible.

Do I need a gas safety certificate?

If you rent out a property, you’re legally obliged to have a gas safety check carried out by a suitably qualified and registered engineer.

The engineer will record the details of the check on a Landlord Gas Safety Record form (also known as a CP12 Certificate in the trade) with copies for you and your tenants.

Even if your tenants don’t use gas, if there’s a live supply to your property, it’ll need to be checked.

When should I arrange a gas safety check?

You’ll need to have the gas installations in your rental property checked every year. This should be some time in the 10th to 12th month following the previous year’s check.

If you have the check completed earlier or later than this 10 to 12-month window, your next check should still be carried out 12 months from the current one.

What paperwork should I receive following a gas safety check?

Your gas engineer will give you a copy of your Gas Safety Record form, which will include the results of tests they’ve carried out on the gas appliances in your property.

You’ll also need to give your tenants a copy. For new tenants, they’ll need to receive it before they move in, whereas existing tenants need to receive a copy within 28 days of the check being carried out.

How do I get a CP12 certificate?

You can get a gas safety certificate – or Gas Safety Record form – by booking an appointment with a Gas Safe registered engineer.

They’ll do a visual check on all your gas appliances, and pipework that’s accessible, to make sure they’re in good condition, and a test on the pipework to make sure there are no gas leaks.

What is a Gas Safe registered engineer?

Gas Safe Register lists all the gas businesses that are legally allowed to carry out gas work. Every firm on this official list employs a gas engineer who has a Gas Safe ID card.

You should always check a gas engineer’s ID card before allowing them to do any work at your property because some aren’t qualified to do all types of gas work.

Gas Safe Register provides a way for you to find a local Gas Safe registered engineer, or check to see if someone’s registered and qualified.

What needs to be included on a Gas Safety Record form?

The minimum information required on the form is:

  • a description and location of each appliance or flue the engineer has checked
  • the engineer’s name, registration number and signature
  • the date on which the check was carried out
  • the address of the property being checked
  • the landlord’s (or their agent’s) name and address
  • any safety defect the engineer has found and any action needed or taken to fix it
  • confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the appliances

The law requires you to make sure the pipework in your rental property is kept in safe working order too. So you’ll often see a section on these forms where the engineer can record the results of tests that show whether or not your pipework is safe.

It’s worth noting that while tenants are responsible for their own gas appliances, you’re still responsible for the pipework they’re connected to.

How much does a gas safety certificate cost?

There's no fixed price for a gas safety certificate as the cost depends on the Gas Safe engineer you choose. Certificate costs aren't regulated by Gas Safe Register, so it's best to get a selection of quotes to compare.

Prices can start at £35 and go up to more than £150, depending on how many gas appliances there are to check.

Landlord gas safety certificate checklist

  1. Check Gas Safe Register to find a qualified and registered engineer
  2. Check with your tenants for convenient days for an engineer to call
  3. Book an appointment in the 10th to 12th month following your previous check
  4. Make sure any necessary repairs are carried out
  5. Give a copy of the Gas Safe Record form to your tenants and file a copy for your records
  6. Set a reminder for your next check in 10-12 months' time

As a landlord, it's also your responsibilty to make sure you property meets electrical safety standards and smoke and carbon monxide alarm regulations.

More useful guides for landlords

Get set with tailored landlord cover

Over 200,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy? Run a quick landlord insurance quote today.

Start your quote
Lauren Hellicar

Written by

Lauren Hellicar

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.