Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Theft insurance: a guide for landlords and businesses

2-minute read

Anna Delves

Anna Delves

10 February 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Whether you’re a landlord, a business owner, a tradesman or other professional, you’re unfortunately at risk of theft. Our handy guide to theft insurance will take you through what you need to know in order to make sure your assets are protected.

It’s worth noting that ‘theft insurance’ doesn’t exist on its own, but when you take out a policy with us, items covered under that policy will most often be protected against theft.

For example, if you have stock insurance your policy could pay out should any of your stock be stolen, but it won’t cover stolen business equipment or tools. You’ll need to add in business equipment insurance and tool insurance to cover these items in the case of theft. Luckily, we can combine these covers into a single policy so you don’t have to worry about multiple renewal dates or pieces of paperwork.

Theft insurance for landlords

For landlords, there are a number of different concerns when it comes to theft. You've got to think about the contents you provide for your tenants as well as the potential damage caused by a break-in.

If you let your property furnished or part-furnished and want to protect those furnishings from theft - or damage - then you should consider landlord contents insurance. This includes white goods, but will not cover your tenants' belongings. They’ll need to take out their own contents insurance to keep those protected.

And if your property suffers damage during a break-in then landlord buildings insurance could pay out for repairs. It can also cover fires, floods and a range of other disasters that might befall your property.

Theft insurance for small businesses and shops

For small businesses there are a number of theft concerns, though these vary from business to business. Tools, stock, business equipment, contents and the building itself - if you own it - are all things you might want to protect.

In order to protect these different things, you’ll need to add the covers onto your policy, but which ones you need will depend on the nature of your business.

If you run a business selling items you make yourself, for example, you may need tool cover to protect the tools you use to make your products and stock cover to protect the products themselves, as well as the raw materials.

However, If you run a bricks and mortar shop, your needs might be slightly different - you might not create your products yourself so won’t need tool cover, but perhaps you have contents such as chillers that you might want to protect with business contents insurance.

It’s worth noting that theft insurance does not typically cover shoplifting, as there will need to be signs of a break-in for the policy to pay out.

Get small business guides and news straight to your inbox

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business privacy policy.

Theft insurance for tradesmen

It’s an unfortunate reality that many tradesmen worry about theft of their tools or vans.

If you’re a tradesman then tool insurance covers theft of tools, while stock insurance covers theft of stock. And if you have larger plant and machinery then we can cover that too.

Theft insurance for freelancers

If you’re a freelancer or other professional then it's likely that computer equipment is vital to the running of your business. It’s likely portable equipment insurance you’re after, or contents insurance - the type of insurance that’s applicable to you really depends on the specifics of your business.

For example, if you work from home and have a desktop computer that you use, that could be covered under contents insurance, whereas if you have a laptop that you take with you to different sites then you would need portable equipment insurance to protect it.

Things to consider

No matter your profession, most insurers will only cover for forced entry and will require you to have certain security measures in place in order to provide your insurance.

When taking out a policy, make sure you check the wording carefully so you can be sure it covers you for the eventualities you expect it to. If you’re unsure, just give us a ring on 0333 014 6683.

Have you ever had a problem with theft? Let us know in the comments

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote
Anna Delves

Written by

Anna Delves

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2023 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.