Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Working from home insurance

Join over 900,000 UK customers with cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare tailored business insurance from trusted brands

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,717 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why is home office insurance important?

Whether you’re out and about or mainly work from home insurance, is a must for millions of UK businesses. From public and product liability cases – involving accidents and property damage – and employee injuries, to theft, flood damage, or a personal accident, working from home can bring the risks closer. Insurance can help compensate a client, for example, or replace a piece of kit, depending on your business type.

  • insurance for home-based business risks – from public liability to theft and flood
  • cover for what you need, like your products, stock, and equipment
  • optional personal accident cover for your own accidents and injuries

Start your quote

Working from home business insurance – what’s covered?

For business insurance, working from home policies often start with public and product liability protection, covering you against accidents and damage to third parties and their property – for example, if a work contact visits your home and suffers an injury. From there, you can add professional indemnity cover, protection for stock, equipment and personal accidents, plus employers’ liability for anyone you employ, whether they’re working in your home or elsewhere.

Public and product liability insurance

In case your business and products cause injuries or property damage.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to someone’s property, because of your business
  • an injury or illness caused by your business activities or products
  • accidental damage or injuries caused by your employees

For example:

  • a client visits your home and trips over a laptop cable, breaking their knee
  • one of your suppliers leaves their briefcase in your hallway, and your dog chews the corner

**If you do employ anyone, you’re usually required by law to have employers’ liability insurance too.**

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case anyone gets ill or injured while working for your business.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury or illness that happens as a result of working for you (including temps and casual workers)

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • you organise a team meeting in your home and an employee slips on the wet hallway floor, falling and breaking her ankle
  • your employee is lifting a heavy crate into the back of your van and injures his lower back

Professional indemnity insurance

In case there’s a claim for loss-causing errors or issues with your work.

What’s typically covered by professional indemnity insurance?

Claims against your business for professional negligence or a loss-causing breach of contract. This can include:

  • advice which turns out to be incorrect
  • mistakes in your work that cost others money to fix

For example:

  • you make a mistake while completing a report for a client and they raise a negligence claim for direct losses
  • one of your employees unintentionally infringes a client’s intellectual property rights, and you’re sued for damages

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to equipment like your phone or laptop.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • accidental damage to your professional fixtures and fittings, or the equipment you use to run your business
  • theft, flood, and fire damage

For example:

  • your home is hit by a seasonal flood and the desk you use for work is damaged, as well as your laptop and phone
  • the computer you use for work is damaged during a children’s party in your home

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Tools insurance

In case something happens to your home business kit.

What’s typically covered by tools insurance?

  • the specialist tools you use for work, like handheld or portable electronic equipment
  • loss, damage, or theft

For example:

  • one of your children drops a set of tools you use for your home-based upholstery business, and you need to repair or replace them
  • you’re running an ironing and laundry service from home, and your kit gets damaged in a flood in your utility space

Read more about tools insurance

Stock insurance

In case something happens to the products and materials you rely on.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • loss, damage, or theft of essential stock items, like ingredients or spare parts

For example:

  • a new order of treatment products you use to run your home-based hair and beauty business are stolen from your doorstep
  • you make a large order with a supplements supplier for your home-based nutritionist business, which gets ruined by flooding

Read more about stock insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you have to pay legal costs connected with your physio business.

  • legal costs attributed to your business
  • property damage, nuisance, or trespass and associated legal costs
  • HMRC, tax, and compliance issues, if they come up
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline, and crisis PR support to help you protect your professional reputation

For example:

  • you haven’t registered your business correctly with HMRC, and begin to incur legal costs as a result
  • an employee raises a wrongful termination claim against you, and you need to pay for legal support

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case anyone you’ve covered is accidentally injured, at work or elsewhere.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death at work or outside of work, for anyone covered on the policy
  • lost income, medical costs and hospitalisation benefit

For example:

  • you injure your eye while playing squash, and need time away from work for treatment
  • your business partner, who you’ve covered on the policy, breaks their collarbone in a full down your front steps

Read more about personal accident insurance

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of business insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does home workers insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

10% of our customers paid up to £38.32 a year for a public liability insurance policy between 1st April 2023 - 30th June 2023. Equivalent to £3.19 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

Example working from home insurance quotes, real prices

elements insurance

£15.26 /month

£132.56 /year

A self employed web designer working on small contracts for local businesses

  • 2-3 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Manchester
  • Public liability


  • Professional indemnity


  • Contents & business equipment


maltings insurance

£33.89 /month

£301.23 /year

A self-employed IT contractor who works with a number of small to medium-sized clients

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Manchester
  • Public liability


  • Professional indemnity


  • Contents & business equipment


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 17/08/2021). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







Business and office equipment



Professional indemnity

No excess


The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims team any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2021

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of 5 back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,717 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Working from home insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about insurance for home-based business risks. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • If you’re working from home, house insurance may not be sufficient cover for the risks you face, which often aren’t immediately obvious. For example, a desk-based job may not seem to come with a lot of risk, but from laptop theft to a client slipping on your wet floor, accidents are extremely common.

    Public liability insurance, as well as product liability, can cover you if someone makes a claim against you for injury or damage. For example, a client might slip on your wet hallway floor, causing a back injury. Or maybe you’re running a small catering service and someone gets ill after eating your products.

    You can also add professional indemnity insurance for loss-causing errors in your work, stock and tools insurance for your essential kit and supplies, plus employers’ liability cover, which is usually a legal requirement if anyone is directly working for you.

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 0146 683 to update your policy before you take on this new work.

    If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • Each insurer looks at CCJs and IVAs differently – some apply stricter rules than others, but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to buy insurance.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 0146 683. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for home workers

A man in glasses sat working at the computer in his office at night

15 October 2021 • 5-minute read

Do I need permission to run a business from home?

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Working from home insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2023 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.