Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Public liability insurance for gas engineers

Join over 1,100 gas engineers like you with PL cover from £3.49 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Man installing a radiator

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,770 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need gas fitters insurance?

As a Gas Safe engineer solving high-risk problems in complex systems, you’re aware that your customers seek reassurance as well as expertise. Insurance for gas fitters plays an important role in covering you – and them – against the challenges you’re up against, including damage due to fire or flooding and other potential setbacks.

  • Protection against big claims that result from mistakes, accidents or injuries
  • Cover to meet your needs, whether that’s you, your employees, contractors, casual workers or temporary staff
  • Help to keep going if an unexpected event disrupts a contract that’s underway

Start your quote

What does gas fitters insurance cover?

Gas engineering is a varied industry. You need insurance that’s tailored to you and your business, so you’re free to focus on the job at hand. That’s why we help you build the policy that’s right for you, choosing from core covers, plus a few more specific options.

Public liability insurance for gas engineers

In case somebody suffers injury or damage to their property as a result of your gas fitting business.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • accidental damage to a residential or commercial property, caused by your work as a gas fitter or by one of your employees (remember, if you have people working for you, employers’ liability cover is a legal requirement)
  • accidental injury to another person, caused by your work as a gas fitter or by one of your employees

For example:

  • you need to move a washing machine to install a boiler, and in doing so you trigger a leak, which damages the customer’s floor
  • a boiler you’ve recently installed falls down and breaks several bones in the customer’s foot
  • your employee moves a sofa while carrying out a gas safety check, breaking the customer’s camera light by accident

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • installing and maintaining pipework used for water and drainage – this would be classed as plumbing work, so you’d need to cover it separately under plumbing insurance

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case your employee falls ill or gets injured because of their work for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • a member of your staff becoming sick or suffering an injury as a result of the gas engineering work they do for you

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your employee slips off a ladder and breaks their back as they’re trying to fix a boiler

Tools insurance

In case your gas fitting tools are lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by tools insurance?

  • theft of the tools you use to carry out your work as a gas fitter (especially handheld tools and portable electronic tools), whether on site or stored at your business premises
  • flood, fire, or accidental damage to your gas fitting tools at a client site or at your premises

For example:

  • while you’re in the process of loading your van, somebody steals your tool box, which contains your drills, circular saw and hand vacuum
  • one of your employees accidentally steps on your tool box and breaks the drill, so you need to get it repaired

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • cover for tools left in your van overnight – these would need to be covered by tools overnight cover, which you can select as an optional extra

Read more about tools insurance

Contract works insurance

In case your gas engineering work in progress is destroyed, disrupted or delayed.

What’s typically covered by contract works insurance?

  • damage to the ongoing work in progress on commercial or domestic premises
  • your gas work is destroyed or damaged while you’re working

For example:

  • you’re working on a commercial building and a fire breaks out, which sets back the completion date you’ve agreed to in the contract
  • the boilers you’re in the process of fitting are destroyed by fire, causing a delay to the completion date

Read more about contract works insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you need to pay legal costs while operating your gas engineering business.

  • lawyer fees and other legal expenses you may face that catch you by surprise as the owner of your company
  • the cost of legal claims relating to property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • a 24/7 confidential legal helpline and a tax advice helpline, as well as crisis PR support to help you protect your business’s reputation
  • support in handling unexpected tax and compliance matters

For example:

  • a client owes you a large sum of money because they’re three months late on payment, so you want to take them to court to recover the money
  • your businesses tax accounts are investigated by HMRC and you need an accountant to help you deal with the enquiries
  • you need legal help to resolve an HR dispute with an employee

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you've covered has an accident.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death, whether at work or elsewhere, for anyone you’ve specifically covered in your policy
  • lost income, hospital bills, or other medical costs associated with the accident

For example:

  • you drop a bronze fireplace on your foot and it breaks your toe
  • your apprentice breaks their arm on the way into work
  • you suffer a slipped disc while you’re on a run at the weekend

Read more about personal accident insurance

This content has been created for general information purposes. Make sure you have the right level of business insurance by checking your policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does gas fitters insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example gas fitters insurance quotes, real prices

axa insurance

£33.44 /month

£297.23 /year

Self-employed domestic gas fitter who is also Gas Safe registered

  • 2-3 years' experience
  • sole trader
  • no employees
  • based in Bolton
  • Public liability insurance


  • Employers’ liability insurance

    Not included

  • Tools insurance

    Not included

axa insurance

£154.04 /month

£1,369.21 /year

Small gas fitting business with 1 office-based staff member, Gas Safe registered

  • 5+ years' experience
  • limited company
  • 3 employees
  • based in Aberdeen
  • Public liability insurance


  • Employers’ liability insurance


  • Tools insurance


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 30/03/2022). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess




The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

Make sure you cover the total cost of replacing all your tools or you’ll only get a proportion of your claim paid out if something happens to them. Learn about tools cover.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Will tools insurance cover all my equipment?

Depending on what you use to do your work, you may need other covers.

You may need more than tools cover – for example, business equipment insurance if you have a work laptop, plant insurance if you use machinery.

Does gas fitters insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider Plumbers insurance or Plumbing, heating and ventilation contractor - domestic?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

Example claim

Having gas fitter insurance through Simply Business has saved gas engineers thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Jae saved more than £6,200

As part of a maintenance contract, Jae (name changed for privacy) was changing a shower valve in the wet room. The on/off switch just below the old valve was turned off correctly but the water was left on. This resulted in an escape of water. Luckily Jae had gas fitter insurance at the time, which stepped in to take care of the claim.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of the water damage

  • Jae’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Jae's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,770 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Gas fitters’ insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about gas fitters' insurance. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a plumber, you may also do building work on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy. When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it's important to give us a call on 0333 043 8527 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don't have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • Each insurer looks at CCJs and IVAs differently – some apply stricter rules than others, but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be able to buy insurance.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.
  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 0146 683. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a "family business" as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for gas fitters

Wrench and pipes on a table

18 Jun 2018 • 6-minute read

Starting a plumbing business: a simple guide for UK plumbers

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Public liability insurance for gas engineers


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.