Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Bed and breakfast insurance

Join over 900,000 UK customers with public liability cover from £3.19 per month*

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
  • UK-based expert support, online and on the phone
  • Get covered and all your documents the same day
  • Compare tailored insurance for B&Bs from trusted brands

Six people sat around a breakfast table

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.7/5

Based on 39,749 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

B&B insurance – why is it important?

From serving food to guests to the risk of property damage, mistakes and accidents at your bed and breakfast can be expensive to fix. If a claim came up, would you have the funds ready to cover it? Fortunately we provide tailored cover to protect your B&B should the worst happen.

  • compare cover from expert UK brands and protect your business
  • b and b insurance online, from quote to claim
  • peace of mind, letting you focus on your property, not the what-ifs

Start your quote

Bed and breakfast insurance cover?

Build a policy that gives you the peace of mind you need as a B&B owner. Most landlords start with buildings and contents insurance, which covers you if your property is damaged or destroyed in an event like a flood. From there, you can add other covers to suit your needs.

B&B contents insurance

In case disaster hits and your contents get damaged.

What's typically covered by landlord contents insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage or theft of the contents of your property
  • the cost of replacing your contents – including furniture, appliances, and decorative items

For example :

  • there's a break-in at your property and your TV and microwave are stolen
  • a pipe bursts in the kitchen, damaging your washing machine, cooker, and fridge

Read more about landlord contents insurance

B&B buildings insurance

In case disaster hits and your property gets damaged.

What’s typically covered by buildings insurance for B&Bs?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to your property that means it needs a partial or complete rebuild, up to £1 million
  • unexpected damage, caused by fire, flood, storm, or theft

For example :

  • an electrical fault causes a fire in your property, damaging the floorboards, support beams, and roof
  • a violent storm with sustained high winds causes severe damage to your property
  • your property begins sinking into the ground, resulting in visible cracks across walls, ceilings, and floors

Read more about buildings insurance for landlords

Landlord home emergency cover

In case the boiler fails, or there’s a plumbing or electrical emergency.

What's typically covered by landlord home emergency cover?

Claims against your property for:

  • removal of vermin, such as rats or a wasp nest that’s preventing the use of a loft, or one or more rooms in your property
  • room-only costs for one night’s accommodation, if the property remains uninhabitable after an insured event
  • loss or theft of any external door keys

For example :

  • your tenant finds a rat in the loft of your property, and there are signs that it’s been getting into one of the bedrooms
  • a leak in the bathroom causes severe water damage to the downstairs rooms in your property – your tenants need to stay in a hotel for a night while it’s made fit to live in
  • your tenant leaves their keys on a bus and you haven’t got another set, so you need to call a locksmith to access to the property

Read more about landlord home emergency cover

Landlord accidental damage insurance

In case your tenant or their guests accidentally damage your property.

What's typically covered by landlord insurance with accidental damage?

Claims against your business for:

  • the cost of replacing contents in your property if your tenants cause any unexpected damage
  • someone visiting one of your tenants causes unexpected damage to your property or contents
  • the cost of repairing your property or contents if they’re accidentally damaged

For example :

  • during a party, someone spills red wine on the sofa you’ve bought for the property
  • your tenant drops something on the kitchen floor causing damaging one of the tiles, and it needs to be replaced
  • your tenant’s child throws a toy, breaking a light fitting and damaging the TV you’ve installed

Read more about landlord insurance with accidental damage

Property owners' liability insurance

In case you’re legally responsible for injuries or property damage, as owner of the building.

What's typically covered by property owners’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • bodily injuries caused by your property, including fixtures, fittings, and contents
  • third-party property damage, caused by your property

For example :

  • your tenant slips on a loose piece of carpet, causing long-term back pain
  • your ceiling lamp falls on your tenant's laptop, breaking it in the process
  • a delivery person trips on a loose pavement slab at your property and breaks their ankle

Read more about property owners liability insurance

Tenant default insurance

In case your tenants don’t keep up their rental payments.

What's typically covered by tenant default insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • you will be protected up to £50,000 in case you are forced to evict tenants for nonpayment of rent over the course of a year

For example :

  • your tenant misses four months of rent – you’ve tried to negotiate part payment, but the tenant has stopped answering your calls, so you decide to serve notice
  • you’ve negotiated a payment plan to help an unemployed tenant cover their rent but they don’t make repayments – your tenant default insurance starts after you serve an eviction notice
  • the cost of utility bills has made a tenant consistently fall short on their rent so you serve them an eviction notice

Read more about tenant default insurance

Rental income protection insurance

In case damage to the property stops your tenants trading, and paying rent.

What's typically covered by rental income protection insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • loss of rent if your property is uninhabitable due to an ‘insured event’ such as a fire, flood, or storm
  • damage to your property means you can’t rent it out to new tenants

For example :

  • a heavy storm badly damages the roof of your property, so it’s unsafe for tenants to live there until it’s repaired
  • your property gets badly flooded, making it uninhabitable for tenants
  • you need to recover lost rental income because a fire in the kitchen means your tenants can’t live there and have to move out

Employers’ liability insurance

In case anyone gets ill or injured while working for your B&B.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury that happens as a result of working for you (including temps and casual workers)
  • an employee, including a contractor or casual labourer, suing you after falling ill because of working for you

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your employee injures their lower back while moving furniture at your premises and holds you responsible
  • an employee cuts their hand on a damaged countertop and sues you for operating an unsafe workspace
  • a member of staff trips over while unloading business equipment, injuring their knee

Landlord legal insurance

In case you’re hit with legal expenses as a landlord

Claims against your business for:

  • negotiating your legal right to evict squatters
  • repossessing your home if tenants are refusing to leave
  • damage to your property, caused by tenants or their guests

For example:

  • a property you’ve been renovating is ready to be rented out, but you find squatters on the property – you ask them to leave, but they refuse
  • your tenants stop paying rent and you need to evict them, in order to have control of the property and get it ready for re-listing
  • during a routine inspection you find out that your tenants have damaged some expensive appliances beyond repair, which will need replacing

Read more about landlord legal insurance

How much does bed and breakfast insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.19 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

10% of our customers paid up to £38.32 a year for a public liability insurance policy between 1st April 2023 - 30th June 2023. Equivalent to £3.19 per month based on a monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment. Paying monthly is usually more expensive as you'll pay interest. Most customers pay more than this but some pay less.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Main Building



Fixtures & fittings



Landlord contents



Accidental damage



Landlord liability

No excess


The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do insurance claims work for B&Bs?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims team any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£39 million in claims paid out in 2022

Paying 80% of settled claims within 24 hours in 2022

The figure above is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of 5 back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.7/5

    Based on 39,749 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

B&B insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about insurance for off licences. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • You aren’t legally required to take out a specific landlord policy, but remember – a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities, and a mortgage lender will usually demand you have specific landlord cover in place, before you let your property.

    Popular covers include property owners’ liability and contents insurance, for accidents on your property, plus buildings cover to protect the property itself.

  • As we’ve outlined above, there’s currently no legal obligation to take out a dedicated landlord insurance policy. However, a home insurance policy won’t cover you for the specific risks you and your tenants face, and a mortgage lender will usually require you to have buy-to-let insurance in place too, before renting out your property.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

  • If you’ve provided furniture and other contents for your tenants – maybe even a TV or art for the walls – your property is known as ‘furnished’, and protection is key for most landlords. You can buy contents insurance as part of your landlord insurance policy, just add it when completing your landlord insurance quote.

  • We provide cover for a range of property types, including:

    • terraced and end terrace houses
    • semi-detached houses
    • detached houses
    • bungalows
    • maisonettes
    • individual flats in purpose-built blocks or buildings
    • individual flats in converted buildings or houses
    • entire purpose-built buildings with multiple flats
    • entire converted buildings or houses with multiple flats
  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly installments.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for B&B owners

Man using mobile phone and drinking coffee in front of laptop

2 December 2022 • 7-minute read

How to do a landlord tax return: a 6-step guide

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Bed and breakfast insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.