Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

UKCA – a guide to new product safety marking in the UK

2-minute read

Catriona Smith

18 January 2022

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

New safety labelling requirements have come into place for businesses selling certain products in Great Britain.

As of 1 January, a new UKCA mark replaced the CE mark for new products sold in England, Scotland, and Wales.

But what exactly is the UKCA mark for? Read on to make sure you’re aware of the latest government legislation and what this means for your business.

What is the UKCA marking?

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) product marking is the new way some products must be certified for sale in Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland).

It shows that the products meet required safety, health, and environmental standards and they’ve been checked by the manufacturer.

This new legislation came in following the UK’s departure from the EU. Under the new rules, any product that previously carried the CE marking will now have to show the UKCA marking.

When is the deadline for using the UKCA marking?

Businesses could start using the UKCA mark from 1 January 2021, but the government announced this month that you have more time to prepare. Following an initial one-year grace period, the deadline for using the mark has been extended for another year.

The new deadline for displaying the UKCA mark on new and existing products is 1 January 2023.

What products need to use the UKCA mark?

You only need to use the UKCA mark if your product:

  • is for the market in Great Britain
  • is covered by legislation which requires the UKCA marking
  • requires mandatory third-party conformity assessment
  • has had a conformity assessment carried out by a UK conformity assessment body

If you have an online shop or sell a range of products online, you may need to use the UKCA marking.

For example, the legislation applies to the safety of toys, energy related products like lighting and power adaptors, and personal protective equipment like hats and gloves.

You can find the full list of the product categories required by law to show the UKCA mark on the government website.

How to use the UKCA marking

Your UKCA mark should be applied to the product or the product’s packaging. There may be some instances where it needs to be placed in supporting documents like the product manual.

Here are a few things to remember:

  • the UKCA marking must be easily visible and legible
  • it must be at least 5mm in height
  • when applying the UKCA marking you’re taking responsibility that the product meets the requirements

You can download the UKCA marking here.

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest guides for small businesses and the self-employed

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business Privacy policy.

For more information, read the government’s guidance on selling products in Great Britain.

You can also check out a schedule of webinars for manufacturers to help you understand more about what you need to do.

Have you got any unanswered questions about the UKCA marking? Let us know in the comments.

Photograph 1: fizkes/

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

People also liked

19 November 20202-minute read

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid

Landlords could be hit by another massive tax raid, as the Office of Tax Simplification outlines its recommendations for an overhaul of…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.