Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Fitness instructor insurance

Join over 2,000 fitness instructors like you with cover from £3.19 per month*. Compare tailored insurance from trusted brands.

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Fitness instructor helping a client in the gym with thier personal program

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do I choose insurance?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need fitness instructor insurance?

Out on a park run or focused in the gym – wherever you prefer to train, your clients are looking to you for expert training and motivation. From public liability insurance for fitness instructors (think injuries and property damage) to personal accident insurance for your own slip-ups and injuries, our cover is designed to keep business moving.

  • fitness public liability insurance for injuries and property damage
  • peace of mind, letting you focus on the training, not the what-ifs
  • personal accident cover as an option, for your own accidents and injuries

Start your quote

What does fitness instructor insurance cover?

We’ll start off with fitness instructor liability insurance – a popular protection for the gym and fitness industry. You’ll get the option to include public and product liability cover, for property damage and injuries or illness caused by your business. From there, you can add the covers that suit your business, from employers’ liability to insurance for specialist equipment and your own personal accidents.

Public liability insurance for fitness instructors

In case you cause an injury, illness or property damage.

What’s typically covered by public liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to someone’s property
  • an injury or illness caused by your business activities
  • accidental damage or injury caused by your employee, if you have one

If you do employ anyone, you’re usually required by law to have employers’ liability insurance too.

For example:

  • a client tears a muscle in your spin class and decides to claim against you
  • during a fitness bootcamp your client damages some equipment belonging to the venue you’re hiring

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case something happens to an employee while they’re working for your business.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • an injury or illness that comes as a result of working for you (including temps and casual workers)

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • your employee injures themselves during a coaching drill and claims compensation from you
  • a trainee fitness instructor falls down the stairs at your studio and breaks their arm

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to equipment like your laptop or treadmill.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • theft of the equipment you use to run your business
  • accidental loss of your equipment
  • flood, fire or accidental damage

For example:

  • the laptop you use to manage your business is stolen from your car while you’re visiting a client
  • a leak in your studio damages the digital control unit of an expensive treadmill

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Tools insurance

In case specialist kit like your dumbbells or trackers is lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by tools insurance?

  • your fitness and assessment equipment, like free weights and portable electronic tools
  • theft or accidental damage while your tools are on a client’s premises, or in transit (in the UK, and in a vehicle you own or lease)

For example:

  • your expensive dumbbells set is stolen during a break-in at your business premises
  • a power surge at your studio damages the electric circuit in your wattbike

Read more about tools insurance

Stock insurance

In case the supplies you rely on are lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s typically covered by stock insurance?

  • loss, damage or theft of the essentials you keep in stock, like protein and energy products or branded materials

For example:

  • a new order of whey protein powder you keep in stock for clients is stolen from your business premises
  • flooding in your studio destroys your stock of branded activewear

Read more about stock insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with legal costs while running your fitness business.

  • legal costs associated with day-to-day operations, like an employee dispute
  • legal costs associated with property damage, nuisance or trespass
  • HMRC, tax and compliance issues, if they come up
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline and crisis PR support to help you protect your reputation as an in-demand fitness instructor

For example:

  • you’re subject to a tax investigation and need cover for costs, as well as legal representation
  • a new client refuses to pay an invoice, disputing their contract terms, and you need cover for the costs of recovering the unpaid sum, along with confidential legal advice

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case you or anyone you’ve covered has an accident at work or elsewhere.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death of anyone you’ve chosen to cover in your policy – whether this happens at work or elsewhere
  • lost income, hospital bills or other medical costs associated with the accident

For example:

  • you’re running a weekend class and a client drops a bar, breaking a bone in your foot and forcing you to take two weeks off work
  • your employee traps their hand in the car door on their way to a client’s house, causing bad bruising and signing them off work for over a week

Read more about personal accident insurance

How much does fitness insurance cost in the UK?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example fitness instructor insurance quotes, real prices

covea insurance

£6.33 /month

£43.31 /year

A self-employed fitness instructor, working from a studio and clients’ homes

  • 3-4 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Blackpool
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Tools

    Not included

hiscox insurance

£26.98 /month

£239.84 /year

A fitness limited company that hires out a studio and works with professional sportspeople

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Southend-on-Sea
  • Public liability


  • Employers’ liability


  • Tools


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 23/09/2020). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess







Business and office equipment



The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

Make sure you cover the total cost of replacing all your tools or you’ll only get a proportion of your claim paid out if something happens to them. Learn about tool cover.

Which type of workers do I need insurance for?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

Will tools insurance cover all my equipment?

Depending on what you use to do your work, you may need other covers.

You may need more than tools insurance – for example, business equipment insurance if you have a work laptop, plant insurance if you use machinery.

Does fitness instructor insurance cover my work correctly?

Make sure you're picking the right cover to protect you properly. It's important to know that if you have another trade or job, you'll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider personal trainer insurance or private tutor insurance?

Do I need cover for other types of work?

If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

Other types of insurance

Which public liability cover limit should I choose?

Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having fitness instructor insurance through Simply Business has saved businesses thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Julian saved more than £3,000

Julian (not his real name) arrived at work and discovered some bricks had been thrown through his studio’s window, damaging two new treadmills. The equipment damage was covered by his gym instructor insurance.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of malicious damage

  • Julian’s costs


    The excess amount stated in Julian’s policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Fitness and gym instructor insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about fitness instructor liability insurance, and other popular fitness insurance details. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

  • Public liability insurance will be a key cover for many fitness instructors – it’s built to cover you for injuries and property damage, if your client or another member of the public makes a claim. Is there a risk that your training venue’s property could get broken, for example, because of your work?

    Alongside fitness liability insurance, you may want to add cover for things like your essential business equipment, kit, tools and stock. And if you employ anyone (including contractors or temps), employers’ liability cover is usually a legal requirement.

  • From client injuries and property damage to an employee getting hurt, the business of fitness carries specific everyday risks. A fitness instructor insurance (UK-specific) policy is designed to keep your focus on your clients and their progress, not all the things that could go wrong.

    There’s no legal requirement for insurance for fitness instructors, unless you employ anyone – if so, employers’ liability cover is usually required by law – but if you were hit with an expensive injury claim, for example, would you have the necessary funds to manage it?

  • Yes. It’s important to make sure you have the right type and level of insurance for the different types of work you do. For example, if you’re a plumber, you may also do building work on certain jobs – you’ll need additional cover for this, but you can have it all on the one policy. When you start your quote, you’ll have the option to add another trade or profession to your policy. If you need to add a third trade, give us a call on 0333 043 8527 and one of our insurance experts will help you set up your policy in minutes.

  • You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

    • one-off credit or debit card payment
    • BACS payment
    • Direct Debit

    If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly instalments.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for fitness instructors

Personal trainer helping client in the gym do press ups

31 Jul 2020 • 3-minute read

How to become a personal trainer

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Fitness instructor insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.