Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

Is the landlord electrical safety certificate a legal requirement?

3-minute read

Simply Business Editorial Team

15 February 2021

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

This article was updated on 19 July 2021.

There are new electrical regulations for landlords in 2021 that require you to arrange an inspection and electrical safety certificate for all your private rented properties.

As a landlord, you’ll need to make sure you’re complying with these rules. If you don’t you could face a fine of up to £30,000.

Electrical testing for landlords

In July last year, new electrical testing regulations for landlords were introduced for new tenancies. These changes extended to existing tenancies from 1 April 2021. They’re designed to improve tenant safety.

You can read the full regulations on the government’s publications hub.

Get your free guide to electrical regulations

Download your free in-depth guide to electrical safety regulations. Get instant access to the latest rules landlords need to follow in the click of a few buttons.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

What is the landlord’s electrical safety certificate?

New electrical testing requirements for landlords mean that you must test your property every five years. You’ll need to get a certificate in the form of a written report – this is usually an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

A new safety report doesn't need to be carried out every time a tenant moves out. However, a landlord must supply new tenants with a copy of the current EICR at the beginning of their tenancy.

Improving the condition of rental homes

The charity Electrical Safety First has welcomed the new laws, saying they will help to improve the condition of rental homes.

Lesley Rudd, chief executive of Electrical Safety First, said: “Renters will be better protected from the dangers posed by electricity under these new laws. While many good landlords already carry out checks, some do not."

How much does an electrical safety certificate cost?

The cost of getting your certificate depends on a number of factors, including the size of your home, how many appliances you have, and the day rate of the electrician you use.

What are the new regulations?

These regulations involve inspection and testing for all properties in the private rented sector. There are three key elements you need to be aware of.

1. Inspection every five years

A key feature of the ruling is inspection. Landlords will need to make sure all electrical installations in their property are inspected and tested by a qualified person every five years (at least).

You’re legally obliged to supply a copy of the inspection and test report to new, existing and prospective tenants, as well as your local authority if they ask for it. Here are the timescales you’ll need to work to:

  • existing tenants: within 28 days of the inspection and test
  • new tenants: before they occupy the premises
  • prospective tenants: within 28 days of receiving a request
  • local authority: within seven days of receiving a request

The report should set a date for your next inspection and test, and you’ll need to keep a copy for the next inspector.

2. Meet the national standards

The national standards for electrical safety are set out in the 18th edition of the ‘Wiring Regulations’. You can find these on, and may need to talk them through with a qualified electrician.

3. Do any remedial or investigative work

Any remedial work required in your report needs to be completed within 28 days of the test report (or a shorter time period, if specified). Your electrician will need to give written confirmation that they’ve completed this work for you, to the tenant, and local authority, within 28 days of finishing the job.

Which tenancies do the regulations cover?

Existing tenancies will need to comply from 1 April 2021, while all new tenancies have already been under this legislation since 1 July 2020. This will usually include assured shorthold tenancies, licences to occupy, and certain Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

There are exceptions, including social housing tenants, lodgers, long leases of seven years or more, student halls of residence, hostels and refuges, care homes, and specific healthcare accommodation. All of these will carry their own regulations, though, so read up on the different types of tenancy and make sure you’re meeting them.

What do landlords need to do?

Aside from the regulations outlined above, you’ll need to make sure your inspection and testing are booked in, and your installations are safe.

Find someone to carry out your test

They’ll need to be ‘qualified and competent’, and you’ll need to get the test repeated every five years. Use for guidance on how to find a qualified person.

Prepare your property

Ahead of the test, make sure you’re clear on where all the relevant installations are, if possible. These will include your fixed electrical parts (such as wiring), socket outlets (or plug sockets), light fittings, consumer unit (or fuse box), and permanently connected equipment like showers and extractors.

Tenants are responsible for making sure their own appliances are safe.

Do you have any unanswered questions about electrical safety regulations? Let us know in the comments.

Sign up for our newsletter

Looking for the latest news and features to help you stay ahead? Sign up for our monthly newsletter and get the inside track on the issues that matter to you.

Sign up now

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

People also liked

19 November 20202-minute read

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid

Landlords could be hit by another massive tax raid, as the Office of Tax Simplification outlines its recommendations for an overhaul of…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.