Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

What if your tenant moves a partner in without permission? A guide to ‘permitted occupiers’ for landlords

1-minute read

Mollie Millman

Mollie Millman

1 December 2020

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Landlords are being reminded that there’s a solution if a tenant decides to breach their rental agreement by moving in a partner.

  • The landlord's guide to choosing a tenant

Following the most recent lockdown, some tenants may have considered (and brought forward) a decision to move their partner in, due to the pressures of not being able to see one another.

While this might seem like a natural solution, the reality is that it affects their contract with you as their landlord.

A ‘permitted occupier’ and the subletting clause

This is because there’s a standard clause in most tenancy agreements about subletting. Tenants can’t sublet all or part of the property without permission from the landlord.

Once the partner moves in however, they become what’s known as a ‘permitted occupier’.

This becomes an issue if the tenant moves out, as the permitted occupier can lawfully stay because the tenant has allowed them into the property.

Because there’s no contract between the landlord and the permitted occupier, the landlord would have to chase the tenant for the rent and follow separate legal procedures to evict the permitted occupier.

David Cox, of Rightmove, said: “It is why having an up-to-date tenancy agreement is so important. A landlord has rented the property and so the tenant could move someone in if there are no terms prohibiting this in the tenancy agreement.”

Get landlord news, guides, and resources straight to your inbox

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business privacy policy.

What can landlords do in this situation?

If there are terms prohibiting this, there’s a solution – that’s to make an amendment to the tenancy agreement allowing the permitted occupier.

In this way, should the tenant leave the property and stop paying the rent, the permitted occupier becomes the new tenant and is liable to pay all of the rent.

Chris Norris, policy director of the National Residential Landlords Association, said: “Most professionally drafted tenancy agreements include clauses that allow new permitted occupiers only with the consent of the landlord.

“Such clauses are generally in place to protect the landlord from encountering issues with their insurance, or breaching the terms of their lease if their property is a leasehold, or the terms of their licence if the property is a House of Multiple Occupation.

“Your agreement is with the original tenant and they are the one expected to follow the terms set out in it.”

He added: “If your tenant does ask for permission for their new partner to move in, you should agree to this if it is reasonable to do so.”

Were you aware of the rules around permitted occupiers? Let us know in the comments below.

Get set with tailored landlord cover

Over 200,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy? Run a quick landlord insurance quote today.

Start your quote
Mollie Millman

Written by

Mollie Millman

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.