Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge Centre

What is a unique taxpayer reference number?

1-minute read

Josh Hall

28 February 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Your UTR number, or unique taxpayer reference number (sometimes referred to simply as a taxpayer number) is the series of digits that identifies you to HMRC. As a self-employed person, you’ll need it in a broad range of circumstances.

But what exactly does your UTR mean, how can you get one, and how do you know what yours is?

  • When is the Self Assessment deadline for 2020?

What is a unique taxpayer reference?

Your unique taxpayer reference number, or UTR number, is a unique code that identifies either an individual taxpayer or an individual company. UTR numbers are ten digits long, and may include the letter ‘K’ at the end.

Unique taxpayer reference numbers are used by HMRC to keep track of taxpayers, and is the ‘key’ that the taxman uses to identify all of the different moving parts related to your UK tax affairs.

When might I need a UTR number?

You might need your unique taxpayer reference in a number of circumstances. The most important of these is to complete your Self Assessment tax return. However, you might also need it if you appoint an accountant or other financial professional to help you deal with your tax affairs. You’re also likely to need your UTR number when you communicate with HMRC for any other reasons.

How do I register for a unique taxpayer reference?

You’ll be assigned a UTR number when you register as a Self Assessment taxpayer. It’s important to remember that if you fail to notify HMRC that you are self-employed, you may receive a substantial fine.

You will also be assigned a UTR number when you set up a limited company. You should note that this is not the same as your company registration number. When you’re setting up a company, your unique taxpayer reference will be printed in letters from HMRC and may be referred to as a ‘tax reference’ or ‘unique tax reference’.

If you’re applying for a UTR in a hurry, you should remember that it may take some time to arrive. According to HMRC, it can take up to 20 days for your unique taxpayer reference number to be provided. It will be sent by post, but before this happens you will need to pass a number of online security checks.

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest guides for small businesses and the self-employed

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business privacy policy.

What is my UTR number?

If you’ve lost your unique taxpayer reference number, or if you’re unsure what it is, there is a number of places in which you might be able to find it. When you’re looking, remember that it will be ten digits long, and may be followed by a ‘K’.

You might be able to find your UTR number:

  • On the SA250 form you received when you registered as self-employed
  • On a previous Self Assessment tax return
  • On your first communication from HMRC if you incorporated a limited company
  • On a notice to file
  • On a payment reminder from HMRC.

Is the UTR number useful, or just another awkward part of dealing with HMRC? Let us know in the comments

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceNot for profit insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.