Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Fire damage insurance: a guide for landlords and businesses

3-minute read

Jade Wimbledon

Jade Wimbledon

24 February 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Fire is one of the major risks that your business or rental property faces, but if you have the right insurance in place, you should be covered in the case of fire damage.

  • Flood damage insurance guide

What is fire damage insurance?

There’s not a specific ‘fire damage insurance policy’ you can take out, but there are several types of insurance that would pay for repair or replacement of your things in the case of a fire.

For example, buildings insurance can cover the cost of rebuilding a property if it’s been destroyed in a fire, and contents insurance can cover the cost of replacing furniture and appliances in the event of a fire.

You could add stock cover to your policy if you run a shop, and tool, plant and machinery cover if you’re a tradesperson. These insurance covers generally include fire as one of the risks they cover.

You may also want to consider business interruption insurance if you run a business, and loss of rent cover if you have a rental property. These covers can pay for the income you lose in the event of a disaster like a fire, as long as the disaster is covered by other insurance (buildings insurance, for example).

Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest news and guides for landlords

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business privacy policy.

What does fire damage insurance cover?

Insurance that covers fire damage will usually pay for repairing, replacing or rebuilding property that’s been damaged by fire.

The exact coverage will depend on the type of insurance. For example, buildings insurance can pay to repair the structure of the property, while stock insurance can pay to replace your stock.

Your insurer may also pay for the cost of refilling or replacing fire extinguishers, and repairing damage that’s been caused by the fire brigade during attempts to fight the fire.

It’s important to check your documents carefully when you buy your insurance so that you’re clear about what is and isn’t covered. There will also be certain conditions that you need to meet to make sure you’re covered. For example, your insurer may stipulate that you keep fire doors closed and have fire extinguishing appliances serviced regularly. If you don’t meet these conditions, they may reject a claim for fire damage.

Fire damage insurance for landlords

Landlord buildings insurance can cover the cost of rebuilding or restoring your buy-to-let property if it suffers fire damage.

If your freeholder is responsible for insuring the building, you could consider landlord fixtures and fitting insurance instead, which would cover things like a fitted kitchen or bathroom in the event of a fire.

And if you provide your tenants with items like furniture and appliances, you may want to take out landlord contents insurance, which can pay to replace your contents in the event of a fire, flood or another disaster.

However, your tenants’ belongings won’t be covered by your landlord contents insurance, so tell your tenants that they need to take out their own insurance to protect their possessions.

It’s also worth considering loss of rent cover, which can cover your lost rent if your tenants have to move out because of an insured event like a fire.

You can get all these covers together in a single landlord insurance policy through Simply Business. Likewise, it's also possible to get many of the above covers for your commercial property and they can be included in a specialised commercial property insurance policy.

Fire damage insurance for businesses

If your shop or business premises was affected by fire damage, it’s business buildings insurance that could cover the cost of rebuilding or repair.

If you rent your business premises, you’re usually not responsible for insuring the building, but you may want to add tenants’ improvements insurance to your policy to cover changes you’ve made to the property.

To cover things like your business equipment and your furniture in the case of a fire, add business contents insurance to your business policy, and look at stock insurance if you want to protect your stock.

Get all these covers and more in a comprehensive business insurance policy from Simply Business.

Fire damage insurance for tradesmen

As well as buildings insurance and contents insurance if you have a business premises you want to protect, tradesmen may decide to take out contract works insurance to protect work that’s underway on a building site from a disaster like a fire.

There’s also tools insurance if you want to protect your tools from risks including fire damage, and plant and machinery insurance to cover machinery that you own or rent.

Get these covers in a single, tailored tradesman insurance policy from Simply Business.

How to make a fire damage insurance claim

If you have an insurance policy from Simply Business and you need to make a fire damage claim, contact us as soon as possible online, by email or over the phone on 0333 207 0560.

We’ll assign a dedicated claims handler to deal with your case. We know that dealing with the repercussions of a fire can be extremely stressful, so your claims handler should make sure the process is as smooth as possible.

You’ll need to give some details about the damage and some supporting evidence (photographs, for example), and then your claim will be reviewed. Your claims handler will walk you through the process. If your claim is successful, it’ll be paid within 24 hours of being settled.

If you have any more questions about fire damage insurance, ask away in the comments.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote
Jade Wimbledon

Written by

Jade Wimbledon

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.