Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Software developer insurance

Join over 2,700 professionals like you with cover from £3.49 per month*. Compare tailored software business insurance from trusted brands.

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote
Female software developer at computer

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • RSA insurance
Liked icon

Rated 4.8/5

Based on 39,782 reviews

Precise icon

Claims paid in 24 hours

For 80% of settled claims

What's on this page

  • Why is insurance important?
  • What does it cover?
  • How much does it cost?
  • How do claims work?
  • FAQs
  • Helpful articles

Why do you need software developer insurance?

Your work is highly skilled, taking on big expectations for different clients, creating the solutions they need to succeed. Whether it’s building a new application or coding for other small businesses, accidents do happen, especially where client systems are concerned. Software developer insurance takes care of these risks, letting you focus on the job.

  • protection from big claims like accidental injury or damage
  • help to keep going when an unexpected issue comes up
  • cover for the specifics from legal costs and tools to personal accidents

Start your quote

What does insurance for software developers cover?

Most policies start with professional indemnity insurance for software developers, built around your business type. Even if you’re a software contractor, insurance like employers’ liability is legally required if you employ anyone. Software company insurance can also include key covers like public liability insurance, protecting you if anyone is injured or their property gets damaged.

Public liability insurance

In case you or your employee injure someone or damage their property.

What’s typically covered by public and product liability insurance for software developers?

Claims against your business for:

  • damage to someone else’s property, because of your work as a software consultant
  • injury caused by your business activities
  • accidental damage or injury caused by your employee, if you have one

For example:

  • while you’re working in your client’s office, someone trips over your laptop cable, breaking their ankle
  • you spill coffee on a client’s laptop, damaging the screen

Read more about public liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance

In case an employee gets sick or injured while working for you.

What’s typically covered by employers’ liability insurance?

Claims against your business for:

  • employee illness or injury caused by working for you
  • medical bills and legal fees due to employee illness or injury
  • some temps or casual workers may be covered

**Employers’ liability insurance is required by law if you have people working for you. Without it, you could be fined up to £2,500 a day for each employee.**

For example:

  • a Christmas temp slips in the client’s office, hurting their back and causing chronic pain
  • your employee is working late and traps their hand in the door while locking up, breaking a finger

Professional indemnity insurance

In case you make a mistake or give incorrect advice, costing your client money.

What’s typically covered by professional indemnity insurance for software developers?

Claims against your business for professional negligence which causes your client a financial loss, which may include:

  • advice you’ve given which turns out to be incorrect
  • errors in your work

For example:

  • while creating new software, you expose your client to a virus which causes them to lose their customer data
  • you agree on a deadline with your client, but the work takes longer than estimated – the delay forces them to cancel their launch party and rollout

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

Business and office equipment insurance

In case something happens to equipment like your phone or laptop.

What’s typically covered by business and office equipment insurance?

  • theft of the equipment you use to run your business
  • accidental loss of your operational equipment
  • flood, fire or accidental damage

For example:

  • your laptop is stolen from a client’s meeting room
  • you drop your phone onto the leg of your chair, cracking and distorting the screen

Read more about business and office equipment insurance

Legal expenses insurance

In case you’re faced with certain legal costs while running your software business.

  • some legal costs associated with day-to-day activities, like a client dispute
  • property damage, nuisance or trespass and associated legal costs
  • HMRC, tax and compliance issues, if they come up
  • includes a tax advice helpline, a 24/7 confidential legal helpline and crisis support to help you protect your reputation as a software consultant

For example:

  • you’re selected at random by HMRC for an enquiry into your last tax return, and need legal advice
  • you hire a temp for a bigger client project, who sues you for unfair dismissal

What you’ll need additional cover for

  • contractual disputes arising from software development, installation or services

Read more about legal expenses insurance

Personal accident insurance

In case anyone you’ve covered is accidentally injured, at or outside of work.

What’s typically covered by personal accident insurance?

  • injury or death of anyone you’ve covered in the policy – whether this happens at work or elsewhere
  • lost income, hospital bills or other medical costs associated with the accident

For example:

  • you break your leg on a night out, forcing you to delay client work and take time off
  • your temp employee shuts their hand in the car door while driving their child to school, breaking a finger

Read more about personal accident insurance

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Always check policy documentation for details. Read our full Terms and Conditions

How much does software developer insurance cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £3.49 per month

Get your quotes in 7 minutes – prices are guaranteed for 30 days.

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Start your quote

*The price is for £1 million of public liability insurance - 10% of customers paid £41.87 or less annually between 1st Oct 2023 - 31st Mar 2024. Equivalent to £3.49/month (and excludes the extra costs for paying monthly). If you complete a quote more types of cover will be available, these all have additional costs.

Example software developer insurance quotes, real prices

hiscox insurance

£13.74 /month

£117.37 /year

A self employed software developer who codes for small businesses

  • 1-2 years' experience
  • Sole trader
  • No employees
  • Based in Cardiff
  • Professional indemnity


  • Employers’ liability

    Not included

  • Business equipment cover


chiswell insurance

£59.90 /month

£532.42 /year

A small software development company who codes for small to medium businesses

  • 5+ years' experience
  • Limited company
  • 2 employees
  • Based in Leeds
  • Professional indemnity


  • Employers’ liability


  • Business equipment cover


How we work out example quotes These examples are real quotes from our online system (created 19/01/2021). They’re based on a range of factors, like employees and location. Your own quote will be based on what you tell us about your business. Prices may go up or down from day to day, so the prices you’re quoted may differ to the ones you see here.

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Professional indemnity

No excess


Public liability



Employers' liability

No excess

No excess

Business and office equipment



The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

  • Pick what goes into your policy

    Only pay for what you need

  • Get prices from a range of insurers

    Choose the best fit for you

  • Buy online in minutes

    Get your documents the same day

Start your quote

Simply Business

Direct to


Compare policies from a range of trusted insurers

Buy online or over the phone in minutes

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am - 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am - 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am - 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am - 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am - 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am - 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive. The figure below is rounded across our range of products. Our claims process may vary for different products and operates on a ‘claim by claim’ basis.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

83% of claims were settled in 2023

Example claim

Having insurance through Simply Business has saved software developers thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Taj saved more than £1,700

Taj (not his real name) was pulling his coat out of his bag when his laptop slipped onto a step, damaging the motherboard and screen. His accidental damage insurance covered the replacement cost.

  • Insurance payout


    Covering the cost of accidental damage

  • Taj's costs


    The excess amount stated in Taj's policy terms

Chosen by 900,000 small businesses and landlords

We started out as a team of five back in 2005. We’ve grown since then with 900,000 customers across 1,500 trades now trusting us to provide their business insurance.

  • Compare and buy in minutes

    Documents arrive today

  • Rated 4.8/5

    Based on 39,782 reviews

  • Here to help

    Help from UK-based experts

  • 24/7 claims

    Make a claim any time

Software developer insurance insurance FAQ

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about software developer insurance.

  • The exact insurance you’ll need depends on your business, the clients you work with and the projects you’re booked on as a software consultant.

    Professional indemnity insurance is a key cover for thousands of developers, protecting against claims for negligent professional errors. You can add it to a broader business insurance policy that includes cover for things like accidents, injuries and damage to your laptop, or buy it as a standalone policy.

  • Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people.

    If you have people working for you, including bona fide subcontractors (BFSC), labour-only subcontractors (LOSC), part-timers, or full-time staff, employers’ liability insurance is required by law.

    Read on for our simplified guide to the difference between labour-only subcontractors and bona fide subcontractors.

  • Make sure you’re picking the right cover to protect you properly. It’s important to know that if you have another trade or job, you’ll need additional cover. For example, do you need to consider it consultant insurance or it business insurance?

    If you provide other services, make sure you’re covered:

    Other types of insurance

  • Think about the maximum possible loss your business could face in the event of a claim, and make sure you take legal fees and damages into consideration. You can choose from three levels of coverage – £1 million, £2 million, or up to £5 million.

  • Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 043 8527 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

  • If you change your business legal structure from sole trader to limited company mid-way through your policy, give us a call straight away on 0333 043 8527. It’ll only take us a few minutes to cancel your existing policy and replace it with one that correctly covers your new legal structure. It’s worth bearing in mind that your insurer and premium amount may need to change.

  • This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

    If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

    There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for software developers

Hands typing at a laptop

26 Jun 2018 • 5-minute read

How to become an IT contractor in the UK

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Software developer insurance


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.