Education insurance

Get tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Female teacher standing at chalk board in front of a class of students

Why do you need insurance for working with children?

Out on a field trip or remote learning over video – however you’re providing it, education is a varied and challenging sector. Whether it’s public liability insurance for schools (think slips, spills and accidents) or specific professional indemnity insurance for education consultants, our policies are designed to cover the invaluable work you do.

  • insurance for education professionals from liability to professional indemnity
  • peace of mind, letting you focus on the learning, not the what-ifs
  • add cover mid-way through your policy depending on your clients and contracts

What does education insurance cover?

From young adults with learning difficulties to children preparing for exams, you know your sector and clients best. We put you in charge of what goes into your education insurance policy, starting with popular covers like public liability insurance, for schools, consultants and tutors. From there, you can add equipment cover, plus indemnity protection for your professional services.

How much does insurance for education professional cost?

Find out how much you’ll pay by comparing prices from a range of trusted insurers. You choose what goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.

Prices start from £4.74 per month

Get your tailored quotes in 7 minutes

Example education insurance quotes, real prices

chiswell insurance

What kind of excess should I expect?

An excess is an amount you pay towards any claim you make on your insurance. For example, if your excess is £250 and you make a claim worth £1000, your payout will be a maximum of £750.

Insurance cover

Lowest excess

Highest excess

Public liability



Employers’ liability

No excess

No excess







Business and office equipment



Professional indemnity

No excess


The figures above are for guidance only and any excess applying to your quote may differ. You’ll get a breakdown of the excesses for each quote when you compare with us.

How it works

Pick what goes into your policy

Get prices from a range of insurers

Buy online in minutes

Direct to


How do I choose insurance?

Making sure you have the right type and level of business insurance can be the difference between getting a claim paid and having to cover the cost of an expensive accident yourself. Read our tips for guidance on what to consider when buying a policy.

Talk to an expert

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Mon 09.00am – 05.30pm, Tues 09.00am – 05.30pm, Weds 09.00am – 05.30pm, Thurs 09.30am – 05.30pm, Fri 09.00am – 05.30pm, Sat 09.00am – 02.00pm

Call our team

0333 043 8527


Contact us on our website whenever suits you


Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

How do claims work?

Unlike price comparison websites, we take the hassle out of claims for you. We know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly – and with a minimum of fuss. That’s why you get access to your dedicated claims any time, day or night. Call them on 0333 207 0560 or claim online. They’ll do their best to be fair and supportive.

£51 million in claims paid out in 2023

Example claim

Having professional indemnity insurance for education consultants through Simply Business has saved businesses thousands of pounds when the unexpected happened.

Rosie saved more than £623

While on a field trip with her pupils, Rosie (not her real name) slipped on some seaweed, breaking her wrist. Her education insurance policy covered the fall and cost of not working for at least six weeks.

Education liability insurance FAQs

Whether you’re new to buying business insurance or you’ve been trading for a while, here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about insurance for working with children, and other educational settings. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

Do teachers need insurance? This depends on your business, your clients and the pupils you’re taking on. In general though, professional indemnity (PI) insurance is popular with many education professionals. You’re delivering a service, and this cover can cover you for disputes over the results you’ve achieved, or the way you’ve prepared a student for an exam, for example.

Alongside PI insurance, lots of teachers and consultants choose to include public liability cover – in case they cause an accident – plus insurance for their tools and other kit. And remember, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement for most businesses with employees. Read more on teachers insurance here.

Yes. You may start offering additional services that require you to use different skills or carry out different tasks. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s important to give us a call on 0333 0146 683 to update your policy before you take on this new work. If you don’t have the correct type of cover in place for the work you do, you may be unable to claim on your policy if something goes wrong.

Do you employ any staff? If so, employers’ liability insurance is almost always a legal requirement, and businesses can be fined up to £2,500 a day for anyone who isn’t fully covered.

As well as this common legal requirement, a professional education or teachers’ insurance quote will usually help to cover lots of different risks, specific to your sector, from professional indemnity – for mistakes, defending yourself against complaints to governing bodies, confidentiality breaches, etc – to personal accident and public liability claims.

Again, employers’ liability is usually a legal requirement if you employ anybody to work for your education or teaching service – you risk a daily £2,500 fine for every employee who isn’t properly covered.

Other than that, you don’t currently need any specific insurance to teach international students in the UK. Professional indemnity (PI) insurance for teachers and education professionals is a popular protection, however, because it can help cover you against claims for negligence, teaching an incorrect syllabus, breaches of confidentiality or complaints to governing bodies, even if you’ve done nothing wrong.

You can choose the payment type that suits your business and cash flow best. Some customers prefer to pay in one go, while others prefer to pay a regular monthly amount, like you do with lots of other bills. Simply Business offer three ways to pay for your policy:

  • one-off credit or debit card payment
  • BACS payment
  • Direct Debit

If you choose to pay by Direct Debit, our credit provider, Premium Credit, pays Simply Business the full amount for your policy up front. You then repay Premium Credit in 10 monthly instalments.

This will depend on whether you have employers’ liability insurance in place. Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business against the consequences of legal action brought by members of the public for injuries or damage to their belongings. But when it comes to your employees causing injury or damage, this protection only activates if you also have employers’ liability insurance.

If you employ people, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

There’s one exception here. Family businesses that aren’t incorporated as a limited company are not legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. The government defines a “family business” as one where all your employees are closely related to you (as a spouse, civil partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, stepchild or half-sibling). So if you run an unincorporated family business and you choose not to get employers’ liability insurance, it’s important to know that your public liability insurance wouldn’t cover you against damage or injury caused by your team.

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always check policy documentation for details and seek professional advice. Read our full Terms and Conditions

Helpful articles for educators