Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Is buildings insurance a legal requirement?

Start your quote

If you own a property, buildings insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but it will usually be required by your mortgage lender. If you own a leasehold property (a common arrangement for flats) then buildings insurance may be a requirement of the lease, although it’s often arranged by the freeholder.

Whether you’re a landlord or an owner-occupier, buildings insurance isn’t compulsory under the law.

However, if you have a mortgage then insurance will usually be a requirement of your mortgage lender.

Plus, if you own a flat, then it’s likely that you have a leasehold agreement, and you may also own a share of the freehold. In these cases, your lease will usually state that it’s compulsory to cover the property with adequate buildings insurance. If necessary, speak to your conveyancing solicitor to make sure you understand the terms of your lease.

If you don’t have a mortgage and you own a freehold property, then it’s usually up to you whether you have buildings insurance. However, most property owners choose to take out buildings insurance, as it can cover the repair or rebuild costs if your property is damaged or destroyed.

If you’re a landlord, damage to your rental property could not only cost a lot to fix, but it could also affect your income if your tenants have to move out.

Landlord insurance from Simply Business includes buildings insurance to cover the costs if your property is hit by something like fire or flood, and you can also add loss of rent insurance to cover your rent if your property becomes uninhabitable following a claimable event.

Ready to set up your landlord cover?

Over 100,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy?

Start your quote

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Is buildings insurance a legal requirement?


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.