Simply Business - Insurance for your business

Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

A guide to self-employed tax codes

3-minute read

A guide to self-employed tax codes
Jade Wimbledon

Jade Wimbledon

3 February 2017

Tax codes are part of the PAYE tax system, so you don’t have one for your self-employed income. However, there are certain things that self-employed people need to know about tax reference numbers.

Understanding PAYE tax codes

HMRC uses tax codes to tell employers how much tax to deduct from an employee’s pay through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system.

PAYE tax codes are made up of a number followed by a letter, for example 1100L. A tax code isn’t unique - lots of people have the same tax code.

The number in the tax code (e.g. 1100) indicates the amount of money you can earn tax-free. For example, 1100 indicates that you can earn £11,000 in the current tax year before you need to pay tax.

The letter in the tax code indicates the level of personal allowance you can get, based on your personal circumstance. The letter L, for example, means that you’re entitled to the standard tax-free personal allowance.

There’s a handy guide to tax codes on the government’s website.

Get your free guide to self employed tax codes

Download your free in-depth guide to everything you need to know about self employed tax codes. Get instant access to expert hints and tips in the click of a few buttons.

Your email address will be used by Simply Business to keep you posted with the latest news, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Simply Business Privacy policy.

Self-employed tax codes

If you’re self-employed, you pay tax on your self-employed income through Self Assessment rather than PAYE, so you don’t have a tax code for this income.

However, if you have money coming in from other sources besides self-employment - for example a job or a pension - you’ll have tax codes for these income sources. You can check your tax code by looking at your P45 or your payslip, and challenge it if you think it’s wrong.

Paying your Self Assessment tax bill through your tax code

If you have income from both self-employment and employment, you may be able to pay your Self Assessment tax bill through your tax code.

This means that HMRC adjusts your tax code to reflect your self-employed earnings, and will take the tax you owe from your salary when your PAYE tax is taken.

You can only choose this option if your Self Assessment tax bill is lower than £3,000 and you submit your online tax return by 30 December. There are other criteria too, which you can check on the government’s website.

Unique Taxpayer Reference

A tax reference that all self-employed people do have is a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). It’s important to understand that this is different from a PAYE tax code and it’s also different from a National Insurance number.

A UTR is a 10-digit code that you’re given by HMRC when you register as self-employed or set up a limited company. HMRC uses it to identify your company for tax purposes.

Your UTR doesn’t change: you have the same one throughout your life. If you stop being self-employed and then become self-employed again later, you’ll still have the same UTR.

You can find your UTR on previous tax returns and in your HMRC online account. It’s also found on other documents from HMRC, like notices and payment reminders. If you can’t find your UTR, you can call HMRC’s Self Assessment helpline.

Paying tax if you’re self-employed

If you’re self-employed, you’re responsible for telling HMRC you’re self-employed, for filing a Self Assessment tax return each year, and for paying your tax bill and National Insurance Contributions. Check out our tax return tips for more information.

If you stop being self-employed, you need to tell HMRC, otherwise you’ll still be expected to file a tax return and you may be fined if you don’t do so. Even if you begin paying tax through PAYE and you have a tax code, HMRC won’t automatically assume that you’re no longer earning self-employed income, so remember to let them know.

Are you clear on self-employed tax codes, or do you still have questions? Let us know in the comments.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.


People also liked

HMRC set their sights on small businesses to plug ‘tax gap’.

27 January 20171-minute read

HMRC set their sights on small businesses to plug ‘tax gap’

HMRC have shifted their focus away from large corporations and are now looking at small businesses, which they believe represent around 5…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.