Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Chat With UsChat support 24/7

Landlord fire safety regulations in the UK - a quick-start guide

2-minute read

Josh Hall

Josh Hall

23 June 2016

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Fire safety is an important consideration for all landlords. While the regulations vary depending on the type of property, it is vital that you understand your obligations and fulfill them.

Every year there are more than 50,000 residential fires in the UK. Disturbingly, private renters are seven times more likely to suffer a fire in their home. But with some prudent preparation, you can help to minimise that risk.

Whilst our guide can give you an overview of landlords' fire safety duties, be sure to seek professional advice before you make any important decisions and be aware that the legislation may change.

Landlord fire alarm regulations

Fire alarms are amongst the most important parts of a landlord’s fire safety responsibilities. They are the first line of defence against fire.

Your responsibilities are set out in the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015, and they came into force on 1 October 2015.

You must install at least one fire alarm on every storey that is used for accommodation, and a carbon monoxide alarm in rooms in which solid fuel is used.

The regulations do not stipulate what type of alarm must be used, but it is important that heat detectors cannot be used in place of smoke alarms.

It is extremely important that landlords comply with these requirements, as failure to do so is not only dangerous but could lead to a fine of up to £5,000.

Fire alarm testing

The landlord must test the alarms at the beginning of every tenancy, but during the tenancy it is usually the tenant’s responsibility to ensure that they are still working and, for example, to change the battery. The government suggests that alarms should be checked monthly.

The monthly fire alarm tests can be conducted by either the tenant or the landlord, but it's important that a log book is kept as a record of the dates of each check.

If testing does fall with the tenant, the landlord should instruct the tenant on what exactly needs checking and keep a regular eye on the situation.

Other landlord fire safety responsibilities

In addition to fire and, where applicable, carbon monoxide alarms, landlords have a series of other important fire safety obligations.

In the case of multi-occupied residential buildings, you may be required to conduct a fire risk assessment. The purpose of this is to determine the risk of fire, and the potential consequences for the safety of tenants. The risk assessment applies to the common parts of the block. Detailed information on the process can be found on the local government website.

If your property is a House in Multiple Occupation, you may also have a responsibility to provide fire extinguishers.

You must also ensure that tenants have access to escape routes at all times, regardless of the type of property, and that they are made aware of these. These cannot be obstructed for any reason.

Importantly, any furniture and fittings provided by the landlord must be certified fire safe, although the same responsibility does not fall on the tenant for items they bring with them.

Get landlord news, guides, and resources straight to your inbox

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business privacy policy.

Gas and electrical safety

Gas and electrical systems are a potentially significant fire hazard, and should be factored into your thinking around fire safety.

With regard to gas, landlords are obliged to ensure that any equipment is installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer. That certification is also required for maintenance, and an engineer must perform a gas safety check once a year. Landlords must provide a copy of the report at the start of the tenancy, or within 28 days of an annual check that happens during a tenancy.

When it comes to electricity, all electrical appliances supplied by the landlord, as well as the system itself (for example sockets and fittings) must be certified safe. Unsafe appliances must be removed. In addition, instruction manuals must be provided for all supplied appliances.

Get set with tailored landlord cover

Over 200,000 UK landlord policies, a 9/10 customer rating and claims handled by an award-winning team. Looking to switch or start a new policy? Run a quick landlord insurance quote today.

Start your quote
Josh Hall

Written by

Josh Hall

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


HomePopular articlesGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resourcesLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers’ liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceSelf-employed insuranceRestaurant insuranceVan insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSection 172 statementSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Northampton 900900 Pavilion DriveNorthamptonNN4 7RG


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friend


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2024 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.