Freelance insurance / professional indemnity insurance
As a freelancer, you are in a position of immense trust. Your clients rely on you for business advice and information, and to provide solutions that grow their business. In a position where you are giving advice and providing a service, you must have the right freelance insurance – professional indemnity and public liability as a minimum.
Simply Business offers quick online quotes to compare and a simple way to buy. All your insurance documentation is stored online for minimal paperwork and easy access.
You may need several different types of freelance insurance cover, but the good news is that your policy is simple and quick to buy with Simply Business.
Why buy freelance insurance with Simply Business?
- Compare quotes online from up to 8 trusted insurers
- We've helped over 200,000 businesses
- Speak to our UK insurance team if you get stuck
- Award winning claims process with 24/7 access
- Receive your documents online instantly
Essential business insurance for freelancers
If you are unsure about which business insurance covers you should have, these will help you to get started with building your policy:
Professional indemnity insurance – recommended if you are providing professional advice to clients. If a client suffers financial loss as a result of your advice, professional indemnity insurance can cover the costs of any related claims made against you. Many potential clients will only deal with you if you have sufficient professional indemnity insurance. Simply Business offers cover from £50,000 up to a maximum of £5,000,000.
Public liability insurance – if during your work you come into contact with members of the public, this insurance will cover the cost in the event that you cause injury or damage to a person or to their property. The minimum level of cover is £2 million, but you may need £5m or £10m if you carry out public sector work.
Details to look out for
- Make sure you check and understand any exclusions on the policy. Simply Business offers you the chance to read the policy documents in full before you buy.
- Try to find out what level of professional indemnity insurance your clients might expect.
- If you employ people, even in your own home, you may be legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance. Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £2,500 for every day you are uninsured.
You may also be interested in...
We are here to help
Christmas call centre opening hours:
Monday 23rd Dec: 9am til 6pm
Christmas Eve: 10am til 2pm
Christmas Day: Closed
Boxing Day: Closed
Friday 27th Dec: 10am til 4pm
Saturday 28th Dec: 9am til 1pm
Sunday 29th Dec: Closed
Monday 30th Dec: 9am til 5pm
New Year's Eve: 10am til 2pm
New Year's Day: Closed
Jan 2nd: Normal hours return.