Journalists’ insurance tailored to your needs
Writing seems like a harmless occupation, and so journalists often overlook the need for business insurance. But, whether you work from home or from a client’s premises, it is vital that you are properly insured. Simply Business can provide a policy that covers exactly what you need.
Buying your journalists’ and writers' business insurance
We’ve worked hard to make sure that buying business insurance on our website is simple and quick.
- Build your ideal policy using our simple form
- Compare quotes from a range of trusted insurers
- Choose a quote and buy online
- Speak to our UK insurance team if you get stuck
- Receive your documents online instantly
Building your tailored insurance policy
There are many different types of journalism, but you will need to consider the same types of cover whether you are a freelance writer or a TV journalist working in the field. Look at these core business insurance covers to get started:
Public liability insurance is vital if you come into contact with members of the public during the course of your work. If you cause injury to a person or damage to their property while you are working, public liability insurance can cover the cost of a claim made against you. The generally accepted minimum level of public liability insurance is £2 million.
Equipment cover for journalists and writers is particularly important for photographers and videographers, who are heavily reliant on their equipment. This kit is often expensive, and many professionals would find it difficult to replace out of their own pocket. Simply Business can provide up to £10,000 cover for your equipment.
Details to look out for
- Make sure you understand any exclusions on your policy. You can read the policy documents online before you buy.
- If you employ anyone outside of your immediate family, even in your own home, you must take out employers’ liability insurance. If you employ someone but do not take out insurance, you risk a fine of up to £2,500 for every day you are uninsured.
- Remember that equipment insurance will only cover you while your kit is in the UK. If you intend to take it abroad you will need a separate policy.
You may also be interested in...
We are here to help
Christmas call centre opening hours:
Monday 23rd Dec: 9am til 6pm
Christmas Eve: 10am til 2pm
Christmas Day: Closed
Boxing Day: Closed
Friday 27th Dec: 10am til 4pm
Saturday 28th Dec: 9am til 1pm
Sunday 29th Dec: Closed
Monday 30th Dec: 9am til 5pm
New Year's Eve: 10am til 2pm
New Year's Day: Closed
Jan 2nd: Normal hours return.