Agile Coach - Boston
Simply Business is planning to disrupt the US small business insurance market, building its first international business outside of the UK. Through blending a combination of technology, data and insurance knowledge, with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers, we are looking to simplify the insurance buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colourful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our startup team.
Simply Business USA is seeking an Agile Coach to lead the adoption and implementation of agile frameworks, including Scrum, ScrumBan and Kanban, for our new US team. As a company, we embrace the adaption of the Deming Cycle offered in Eric Ries’ Lean Startup known as Build-Measure-Learn, so we are open to experimentation in both our products and our ways of working.
As an Agile Coach you will:
- Coach and nurture members of 2-3 teams, consisting of a Product Owner, Developers and Testers, to live by and actively practice Agile and Simply Business values
- Instill the principles of Lean across the organization, utilizing various tools and methods to ensure we are building learning into the fabric of how we deliver value in Simply Business
- Strive to continuously improve your teams’ agile mindset, practices, process and team dynamics, whilst retaining or improving the ability to deliver consistently and at a sustainable pace
- Work closely with your teams to support them in delivering value, quality, a great customer experience, but also to remove non-value adding activities, bottlenecks and blockers
- Taking a coaching voice as an Agile coach, but also switching into ScrumMaster/Delivery Manager mode, depending on the experience of your team
- Leading and coaching your team(s) and/or individuals in relation to the Agile framework and tools which are appropriate for the team
- Facilitating the framework specific, and any other necessary ad hoc meetings
- Supporting your Product Owner(s) with planning and the Roadmap, as needed
- Helping expose and facilitate removal of risks, issues, dependencies, impediments and blockers
- Creating progress and feedback reporting tools
- Protecting the team from outside distraction
What we are looking for:
- Experience of working within and coaching on a Scrum, Scrumban and/or Kanban framework
- Successful start up experience, evidencing how Lean Startup principles were used to scale the business
- Creative facilitation
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm to try out anything new you have learned in relation to Agile
- Skill at managing multiple stakeholders from all levels of the business
- Comfortable challenging the team when needed
- Understanding of the complexities of change management
- Understanding of Agile software development and testing practices
- A track record of getting the job done
- Take pride and ownership in your work
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for learning new skills and practices
- Someone who is excited about the way we work. You can read up on us here:
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
- Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
- Participation in the Company’s bonus program
- Participation in 401(k) plan
- Minimum of 25 days holiday
- Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose) and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.