Call Us0333 0164 504

Covid-19 (coronavirus) FAQ

Covid-19 (coronavirus) FAQ

You may have questions about your policy and the recent Covid-19 (also known as coronavirus) outbreak. We’ve provided some answers below.

How do I find out what type of cover I have?

Your policy documents will tell you the type of cover you have.

If you currently have a policy with Simply Business you can request your policy documents online.

Or use our Cover Checker to get an instant breakdown of what you're covered for.

What if I have business interruption cover?

Business interruption insurance protects your business income if you can't trade because your stock, contents, or buildings are damaged.

If you have business interruption insurance, cover for Covid-19-related claims will depend on your insurer, and the claim itself.

For example, some insurers list specified diseases and viruses that they will cover, and Covid-19 won’t be included. As the diseases are specified, these policies will not cover a wider pandemic, such as Covid-19.

Other insurers may cover a claim depending on things like whether the outbreak occurs at the insured premises, or if a medical authority deems that a business needs to be closed. These claims will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

You can check what your insurer says in your policy documents – get them here.

What if I have personal accident insurance?

Personal accident insurance can cover you if you’ve suffered an accidental injury that leaves you unable to work. This is not an illness or sickness cover, so claims relating to Covid-19 won’t be covered.

What if I have public liability or employers’ liability insurance?

Public liability insurance protects you if you injure someone or damage their property in the course of running your business.

It may cover claims relating to Covid-19, depending on the individual case. Crucially, the main area for consideration will be if you or your business has been proven to be negligent, which has resulted in a third party being impacted by Covid-19.

Being negligent means that – as a result of your actions – you've caused damage or injury to others that could have reasonably been foreseen and avoided, as opposed to someone else being careless.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee or ex-employee sues for illness or injury caused by their work. It’s a legal requirement if you have employees and can pay compensation costs and legal fees.

It may cover claims relating to Covid-19, depending on the individual case. As with public liability, the main area for consideration will be if you or your business has been proven to be negligent, which has resulted in your employee being impacted by Covid-19.

In the case of employers' liability, being negligent means that as a result of actions by you (that could have reasonably been foreseen or avoided) your employee has been injured or fallen ill, as opposed to someone else being careless.

What if I have tenant default cover?

Tenant default insurance can help protect your rental income should your tenant(s) go into arrears.

To claim on your tenant default cover, your tenant(s) need to have missed two consecutive payments. You will also need to have submitted notice to your tenants(s) that you’re going to start legal proceedings for repossession of the property.

New government legislation (Coronavirus Act 2020) states that all notices served must give the tenant three months’ notice of the intention to start legal proceedings. Prior to this legislation, the required notice period was 14 days.

What if I have rental income protection cover?

Rental income protection, also known as ‘business interruption cover’, protects your rental income if your tenants are unable to trade due to a damage claim such as a fire or flooding.

If you've purchased rental income protection, then the policy will only respond if there was accidental loss or destruction, or damage at the customer's property. Covid-19 related claims would therefore not be covered.

How do I start a claim?

If there’s an incident which could lead to a claim, you can contact our claims team 24/7 on 0333 207 0560, or you can start a claim online.

Once you’ve filled out the form, the team will give you a call back to discuss your claim in more detail.

What if I need more help?

We've got a team of UK-based experts ready to help. You can give them a call on 0333 016 4504 Monday to Friday 9am – 5:30pm and Saturday 9am – 2pm.

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter

© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.