Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge Centre

What is SA302? Your guide to getting your tax calculation

2-minute read

Catriona Smith

11 January 2022

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

SA302 is an official tax calculation from HMRC that can be used to prove your income once you’ve submitted your Self Assessment. You can use this statement to show up to four years of income tax.

This can be useful if you need to show your earnings, for example if you’re self-employed and applying for a mortgage.

Read on to find out more about how to get your SA302 tax calculation and what it’s used for.

What is an SA302 form – and what is it used for?

SA302 is a way to show your last four years of earnings outside of PAYE, for example if you’re self-employed or run a side hustle.

A mortgage lender may use this to assess whether your income is accurate and that you can afford a particular mortgage product.

Most lenders will accept a printed version, but make sure you check this list of mortgage providers who accept printed summaries for proof of earnings on the UK government website.

You might also request your SA302 if you’re applying for a business loan.

SA302 example – what does an SA302 look like?

Your SA302 tax calculation will include sources of income, for example:

  • pay from any employment
  • profit from self-employment
  • profit from UK land and property
  • dividends from companies
  • details of UK pension and benefits
  • calculations of income tax

How to get a SA302 from HMRC

You have to wait at least 72 hours after submitting your Self Assessment tax return before you can print your SA302 and other documents.

The way you request your SA302 form depends on how you filed your tax return. You can either get it through HMRC’s online services, third-party commercial software, or by phoning HMRC.

Using HMRC’s online services

  1. Log in to your HMRC online account using your Government Gateway credentials
  2. Go to ‘Self Assessment’
  3. Click ‘More Assessment Details’
  4. Download and print your SA302 from here

If you need an SA302 for a different tax year, you just need to click ‘Tax Return Options’ in the menu and select the relevant year.

Commercial software

If you or your accountant uses commercial software for your small business accounting, you can find your SA302 form through the software you use.

It may be called a different name, like ‘tax computation’, and will be visible in your tax breakdown dashboard.

By phone

If you filed a paper tax return, you’ll need to contact HMRC by phoning 0300 200 3310. You’ll just need your UTR number and National Insurance number handy and they’ll arrange for a copy of your SA302 to be sent by post.

Useful accounting resources for small businesses

Do you have any unanswered questions about getting your SA302 calculation? Let us know in the comments.

This article is intended as a guide. You should speak to a professional accountant or financial advisor if you’re not sure about anything.

Photograph 1: JenkoAtaman/

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.