Simply Business - Insurance for your business

Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

Your guide to the P11D form – deadline and what to include

3-minute read

Your guide to the P11D form – deadline and what to include
Catriona Smith

Catriona Smith

14 May 2021

A P11D form is where employers and directors of companies have to declare benefits in kind to HMRC.

Whether you employ people in your business, or you’ve received benefits in kind as a director, you’ll need to declare these benefits every year.

Being self-employed you’re essentially both an employer and employee, so you should use the P11D form to report any benefits to HMRC as part of your annual Self Assessment.

A P11D guide for the self-employed

If you’re not sure what goes on a P11D form, what ‘benefit in kind’ means, or when the filing deadline is, this article explains everything you need to know as a small business owner.

There are two forms you need to know about:

  • P11D form – this is where you declare benefits in kind and you’ll submit one for each employee or director
  • P11D(b) form – here you’ll summarise all the P11Ds you’ve submitted to show the total benefits in kind given by the business, and any Class 1A National Insurance contributions you’re due to pay for the year

Who needs to complete a P11D form?

Employers need to file a P11D form for any employees in receipt of benefits in kind. You should also complete this form for company directors or if you’re registered as self-employed.

You must use a separate P11D for each director or relevant employee.

If there aren’t any taxable benefits in kind to declare then you don’t need to complete a form.

Benefits in kind – what is a P11D benefit?

Benefits in kind are non-cash benefits, or perks, provided to a director or employee that aren’t included in their salary or wages.

These are taxable benefits so need to be reported to HMRC, and you may need to pay National Insurance contributions on these benefits.

P11D benefits include things like:

  • mileage payments
  • car benefit or car fuel benefit
  • vans available for private use
  • health insurance
  • interest-free loans, e.g. season ticket loans
  • relocation expenses
  • living accommodation

P11D exemption – what doesn’t need to be included?

You don’t need to include any allowable business expenses on your P11D. This includes things like:

  • office supplies
  • business travel expenses
  • stock and materials

When is the P11D deadline?

You have a legal obligation to report any expenses and benefits to HMRC at the end of the tax year. Your P11D must be filed by 6 July for the previous tax year, and any taxes must be paid by 22 July.

The P11D deadline for the 2020-21 tax year is 6 July 2021 and the payment deadline is 22 July 2021.

P11D penalties

It’s important to file all tax returns accurately and on time – and this includes your P11D form.

The P11D late filing penalties kick in if you miss the deadline by two weeks. After this you’ll be fined £100 each month (or part month) your form is late, for every 50 employees.

There’s also a penalty for making an incorrect return, or for deliberately submitting incorrect information. This penalty is a maximum of £3000 for each form.

You could also receive a penalty for late payment. Read more about HMRC penalty appeals process and the new points-based penalty system coming in next year.

Get small business guides and news straight to your inbox

Your email address will be used by Simply Business so that we can send you the latest guides, offers and tips. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. For more information, check out the Simply Business Privacy policy.

Reporting your end of year benefits – how to submit your P11D

You can report benefits in kind to HMRC through submitting a P11D or manage it through payroll.

You can submit your P11D form online in one of the following ways:

Check the government’s website for more guidance on completing the P11D forms.

You don’t need to submit a P11D if you’re payrolling benefits. You just need to register the benefits with HMRC online so they know that tax is being collected through payroll. has more information on payrolling benefits.

Keep accurate records

It’s important to be on top of your finances and keep accurate records for tax reasons.

When it comes to your P11D, you’ll need to keep copies of benefits-related records for three years from the end of the tax year they’re for. For more general guidance, read our article on how long to keep business records.

Your records should include the date and details of every benefit, and how you worked out the amounts (for example, receipts), and any payment you (or your employee) contributes.

More information on bookkeeping and tax can be found in the guides below:

Tax is a complex topic. Please treat this article as a guide only and get professional advice if you’re not sure about anything.

Looking for self-employed insurance?

With Simply Business you can build a single self employed insurance policy combining the covers that are relevant to you. Whether it's public liability insurance, professional indemnity or whatever else you need, we'll run you a quick quote online, and let you decide if we're a good fit.

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.


People also liked

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid.

19 November 20202-minute read

Landlords could be targeted in new capital gains tax raid

Landlords could be hit by another massive tax raid, as the Office of Tax Simplification outlines its recommendations for an overhaul of…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.