Simply Business - Insurance for your business

Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours
Knowledge centre

Guide to ATED or Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings

2-minute read

Guide to ATED or Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings
Josh Hall

Josh Hall

29 November 2017

ATED, or the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings, is a tax levied on certain types of property. If your company owns residential property, you might have to pay it.

What is ATED?

ATED, or the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings, is a type of property tax. It is levied on dwellings in the UK valued at more than £500,000, and owned by a company, a partnership in which one partner is a company, or a collective investment scheme.

What is the meaning of ‘dwelling’ for ATED?

ATED is only levied on properties that are classified as ‘dwellings’. For the purposes of ATED, a dwelling is a property where all or part is or could be used as a place of residence. The dwelling would include the property’s garden or grounds if applicable, along with any further buildings contained in them.

There are some properties that are specifically not classed as dwellings for the purposes of ATED, the most important of which are hotels and guest houses.

How do I value my property for ATED?

For the 2016-17 tax year onwards, an ATED return only needs to be made on dwellings with a value of £500,000 either on 1 April 2012, or on the date of acquisition if this date is later.

You can value the property yourself or use a professional, but either way the valuation must be on the basis of an open market, and of willing buyer willing seller.

For properties you owned on or before 1 April 2012, the same valuation will have been set for the next five chargeable periods after this date. In other words, such properties must be revalued as of 1 April 2017. This new valuation will cover the next five chargeable periods starting 1 April 2018.

For properties owned after 1 April 2012, you should use the value of the property on the date that you acquired it. If it’s a new building, or if it has been altered in such a way as to become a dwelling, the valuation should be set on the date it was first occupied, or on the date it was deemed to have come into existence for Council Tax purposes, whichever is earlier.

It’s important to note that HMRC has the power to challenge a valuation, and will charge interest and penalties if the valuation is found to be wrong.

How much do I need to pay under ATED?

The amount of tax you have to pay will depend on the valuation attached to the property. The following rates are effective for the year from 1 April 2017.

Property valueATED cost
£500,000 - £1 million£3,500
£1 million - £2 million£7,050
£2 million - £5 million£23,550
£5 million - £10 million£54,950
£10 million - £20 million£110,100
Over £20 million£220,350

How do I submit my ATED return?

You should submit your return using the ATED online service. You can also use the service to appoint an agent. Returns must be submitted by 30 April each year, and payment is due on the same date.

Ready to set up your cover?

As one of the UK's biggest business insurance providers, we specialise in public liability insurance and protect more trades than anybody else. Why not take a look now and build a quick, tailored quote?

Start your quote

We create this content for general information purposes and it should not be taken as advice. Always take professional advice. Read our full disclaimer

Find this article useful? Spread the word.


People also liked

Tenant evictions costing landlords £2,000 and nine months of misery according to

4 May 20172-minute read

Tenant evictions costing landlords £2,000 and nine months of misery according to

According to research by online agents , UK landlords could be looking at nine months in time and £2,000 in costs to…

Read more

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter


Popular articlesBusiness resources from FarillioGeneral businessGuestInsuranceLandlordLandlord resources from FarillioLegal and financeMarketingNewsOpinionProperty maintenanceTradesmanCovid-19 business support hub


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ

© Copyright 2021 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.