A self-employed tradesman from London has been handed two suspended jail terms after he falsely claimed to be Gas Safe registered.
35-year-old Brian Winters from Edmonton was found guilty of four charges under regulation 3(7) of the Gas Safe Installation and Use Regulations 1998.
The court heard how Winters signed Gas Safe certificates for a number of properties, despite not being registered. He was only caught after a gas leak was reported by National Grid at a rental property he had certified.
Winters was given an 18-month sentence suspended for two years for the property where a gas leak occurred and a second sentence of 12 months suspended for two years for three other charges. On top of that, he was given two community orders for the crimes.
After the hearing, Health and Safety Executive Inspector Monica Babb said “Gas Safe registered engineers are regulated and have to ensure they can prove they are competent. This safeguard is removed when people choose not to register, putting people at risk in their homes.”
And that's not the only risk. Depending on your trade, being Gas Safe Registered will be vital when it comes to taking out tradesman insurance. It may be difficult to get cover without the certification, while lying about being registered could indeed void any insurance.
If you’re unsure about gas safety or how to register, you can check out the gas safety register website.
Does Winters' sentencing seem fair? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG
Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ
© Copyright 2020 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.