Simply Business homepage
  • Business insurance

    • Business Insurance FAQs

    Business insurance covers

  • Support
  • Claims
  • Sign In
Call Us0333 0146 683
Our opening hours

Get a quote in 7 minutes

Compare prices for landlord insurance and buy today

Start your quote

Compare quotes from leading brands

  • NIG insurance
  • Chiswell insurance
  • Ageas insurance
  • More Than insurance
  • Hiscox insurance
  • Axa insurance
  • Zurich insurance
  • AIG insurance
  • Covea insurance
  • Churchill insurance
  • Finsbury insurance

Trusted by 800,000 customers

Insuring businesses and landlords for over a decade

Satisfaction score of 9/10

For public liability insurance

Award-winning claims team

With a UK-based team available 24/7

Why do you need landlord insurance?

Renting out and maintaining a property can be a full-time job for UK landlords, especially with changing regulations and legal requirements. From buildings and contents cover to tenant default protection, landlord insurance can give you peace of mind:

  • Protection from big claims for injuries and property damage.
  • Financial support if your property is too damaged to rent out.
  • Up to £50,000 rental indemnity if you have to evict your tenants and recover rent.

How to buy landlord insurance

It only takes seven minutes to get a quote. Here’s how it works:

1. Pick what goes into your policy - Only pay for what you need.

2. Get prices from a range of insurers - Choose the best fit for you.

3. Buy online in minutes - Get your documents the same way.

Start your quote

Contents insurance

Protection in case your own possessions get damaged. This can include damage caused by incidents like fire, lightning, explosion, malicious damage and escape of water.

Read more about contents insurance.

What insurance do landlords need?

You may need different types of cover depending on the risks you face. You can build your landlord insurance policy choosing from covers such as liability insurance, buildings and contents insurance, loss of rent and more. Remember, a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities.

You can learn more about the differences between these insurance types on our landlord vs. homeowners insurance page.

Here are some of the most popular covers you may need as a landlord:

Landlord liability insurance

Landlord liability insurance covers you against the cost of claims arising from injury or damage suffered by a tenant or visitor as a result of a fault in your property. For example, if a tenant tripped over a trailing wire and made a claim for injury, this cover could help you pay compensation or legal costs.

Landlord buildings insurance

Landlord buildings insurance can cover costs to rebuild or repair the structure of your rental property – such as walls, floors, roof, fixtures and fittings - if it’s damaged or destroyed by events like fire, storm, flood or vandalism.

Landlord contents insurance

Landlord contents insurance protects the household items in your rental property, like furniture and appliances, against damage or theft, but not against gradual ‘wear and tear’ over time. It doesn’t cover your tenants’ belongings: your tenants will need to take out their own contents insurance.

Accidental damage insurance

Accidental damage insurance protects you against DIY accidents and home mishaps such as spilling wine on furniture. It may also cover outdoor accidents, such as a child throwing a ball through a window. It won’t cover simple wear and tear, and it usually won't cover damage caused by pets or bad workmanship.

Loss of rent insurance

If your property becomes uninhabitable as a result of an insured event, like fire or flood, and your tenants have to move out, loss of rent insurance covers the income you’ve lost. This cover won’t protect you against your tenants defaulting on their rent, which is a risk that's covered by tenant default insurance.

Alternative accommodation insurance

If you’re contractually obliged to provide alternative accommodation in the event that your property becomes uninhabitable, alternative accommodation insurance will cover this cost. In order for this cover to pay out, the property must be uninhabitable because of a specified and insured event.

Tenant default insurance

Tenant default insurance can cover up to eight months of lost rent if your tenants fail to pay for at least two consecutive months. As long as you perform credit checks and background checks on your prospective tenants, you can add tenant default cover to your landlord insurance policy.

Unoccupied property insurance

Unoccupied property insurance protects your rental property even when it's vacant, for example before your tenants move in or between lets. While your house is empty, you may have to do certain things for your cover to remain valid, such as making regular checks on the property.

Landlord home emergency insurance

Adding home emergency insurance to your landlord insurance policy provides you with 24/7 assistance if your property’s plumbing, drainage, heating or power supply fails, or if damage to your doors or windows compromises the security of your property. It can also cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants while the problem gets fixed.

Legal expenses insurance can cover your legal expenses up to £50,000 and provides access to a legal helpline 24/7, meaning you’ll have a property law expert on hand whenever you need one. This cover provides protection should you find yourself facing steep legal fees, for example if you were to take a tenant to court to pursue rental arrears or need legal assistance to evict a troublemaking tenant.

Find out more about our landlord covers and what type of landlord insurance you may need.

Rated 4.7/5 by customers

feefo logo.

Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist.

Read our reviews

It is a very good and easy to use service. I've been a customer for several years and the renewal system is very straight forward. I've always found the quotes competitive too. I'd definitely recommend Simply Business.

R Matthews, Handyman

Keep up to date with Simply Business. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and follow us on social media.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a quote in 7 minutes


Public liability insuranceBusiness insuranceProfessional indemnity insuranceEmployers liability insuranceLandlord insuranceTradesman insuranceCharity insuranceRestaurant insuranceCommercial van insuranceInsurers


About usOur teamAwardsPress releasesPartners & affiliatesOur charitable workModern Slavery ActSocial mediaSite map

Customer support

Contact & supportPolicy renewalMake a claimProof of policyComplaintsAccessibility


6th Floor99 Gresham StreetLondonEC2V 7NG

Sol House29 St Katherine's StreetNorthamptonNN1 2QZ


Careers at Simply BusinessTech careersCurrent opportunities


BenefitsRefer a friendFinance


Terms & conditionsPrivacy policyCookie policyVuln Disclosure policy


Knowledge centreOpinionsMicrosites

© Copyright 2022 Simply Business. All Rights Reserved. Simply Business is a trading name of Xbridge Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Registration No: 313348). Xbridge Limited (No: 3967717) has its registered office at 6th Floor, 99 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NG.