Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
UX Product Designer
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 425,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We are looking for a UX Product Designer to join our diverse and multidisciplinary team disrupting insurance as we know it. Reporting to the Head of Product, you’ll be responsible for every step in the design process. That process starts with a deep understanding of our customer’s diverse needs and ends with user-friendly, elegant products and engaging user experiences. In this role, you will partner and collaborate with product managers, software engineers, and the business to plan and develop exceptional customer experiences. You should be well-versed in research methodology, current design trends and a deep expertise in user experience. In short, we are looking for a design practitioner who can help us take our user experience to the next level and likes to have fun while doing it!
As a UX Product Designer you will:
- design beautiful, clear interfaces for our products by partnering closely with product and engineering to translate business and users’ goals into elegant product designs
- support and influence product prioritization
- stay close to our customer by working with our Customer Insight teams on user research events and testing your designs with users
- being responsible for the whole end-to-end design: from low fidelity wireframes through to final high-fidelity designs
- collaborating with internal stakeholders and team members to brainstorm new products, features and functionalities that enhance our mobile and web experiences
- using both qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions
What we are looking for:
- a portfolio showcasing your talent and ability
- bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 5+ years of experience in a related field
- passion for solving customer problems and building amazing customer-facing products from environments such as e-commerce or FinTech.
- experience in working on responsive websites/web applications
- be extremely familiar with user experience design, product management, software engineering, and agile development environments
- the ability to turn complex use cases into intuitive and shippable product experiences
- exceptional written and oral communication skills
- excellent presentation skills with the ability to present projects and status reports to team leadership.
- strong organization and analytic thinking skills, with ability to translate content into user stories, flows and diagrams
- a proven track record of collaborating effectively with cross-functional teams
- the ability to thrive in an open, creative and ambiguous environment
- experience working independently with clients or stakeholders
- an understanding of WCAG 2.0 accessibility standard
- a proven ability to develop interactive prototypes for testing using tools like Balsamiq, Axure and/or InVision
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.