Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
SOX Compliance Manager - London
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 425,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
The business is looking for an ambitious SOX Compliance Manager to join the business at this exciting stage of its development, as we embark upon continued international expansion with our new owner, The Travelers Companies Inc.
Following the recent acquisition of Simply Business by Travelers Inc, the UK entity is now required to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley by August 2018. The business has one year from the date of the acquisition to comply with the requirements and ensure all controls and documentation meet the external and internal reporting requirements.
As a SOX Compliance Manager you will:
Be responsible for implementing, testing and documenting internal controls to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements. You will be accountable for ensuring that the design and effectiveness of the controls are sustainable, resulting in reliable and accurate reporting to Travelers. You will work with key stakeholders across the business to ensure SOX compliance requirements are met within required deadlines.
- understanding the business environment and SOX requirements applicable to Simply Business
- identifying internal controls and current deficiencies
- coordinating efforts across multiple departments to ensure SOX compliance requirements are met within required deadlines
- designing and building key internal controls that are sustainable and compliant with group policies
- fully testing the controls through inquiry, examination, re-performance and observation of internal financial and operational controls
- training the finance team and SOX control owners on their ongoing required duties
- liaising with parent group Travelers Inc
- prioritising high risk areas and implementing relevant key controls
- influencing the working environment to understand and appreciate the importance of SOX
- highlighting any concerning areas of weakness within the finance team and any other business areas whilst working across multiple departments
As a SOX Compliance Manager you will:
- ensure a full risk assessment has been performed to highlight the key controls
- ensure the company is compliant with SOX within the required deadlines
- ensure the team and other stakeholders are fully aware of their responsibilities and accountabilities
- provide controls guidance of process changes and evaluating control deficiencies
- liaise with internal and external auditors for SOX-related issues
What we are looking for:
- full understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and the COSO Framework
- prior experience implementing internal control methodologies
- prior experience in financial services is an advantage
- proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- process-oriented thinking
- the ability to work with minimal supervision, completing work under tight deadlines
- ability to work with and influence others
- ability to lead and affect process change and improvements
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.