Software Test Engineer
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We’re looking for a Software Test Engineer to join us in London.
Our testing manifesto is about testing throughout over testing at the end, preventing defects over detecting them, building the right system over breaking it and testing understanding and assumptions over checking functionality.
The goal is to be a subject matter expert in testing by expanding the quality mindset, thinking critically about not just functional, but non-functional requirements such as usability, functionality, performance, security, edge cases, testing strategies and best practices.
This role is more than a practitioner role - it’s a coaching role as well. The focus of “testing” in the industry has missed a massive opportunity of spreading the wealth of testing knowledge into engineering organisations. You will be working directly with your peers to identify and communicate risks before, alongside and after development.
By sharing your testing knowledge, you will help your team members share responsibility for quality and not only increase the efficiency and capacity of their teams, but also write higher quality software.
As a Software Test Engineer you will:
- work closely with developers during implementation to ensure appropriate type and levels of testing
- collaborate with product managers to have an understanding of what to test & deliver
- be involved in the pull request review process
- work with our testing community to improve test strategies & automation efficiencies
- choose and use appropriate testing tools and techniques to assess quality
- understand the value of different types of testing techniques and when to apply them
- pair with engineers in a distributed, co-located environment
- focus on what is most important at all times, realising when to change the game plan and when to stick to it
- work collaboratively with business teams. We work in cross-functional teams comprising of developers, testers, product managers and any other supporting roles
- work with product managers and developers to clarify business rules, then capture them for automated verification
- defining testing strategies pre-implementation
- performing functional and non-functional testing
- helping other team members share responsibility for designing and performing tests
- emphasising the importance of executing the right tests
- helping the team create well-defined testable acceptance criteria
- helping the team to perform testing during earliest stages of implementation
- assisting in root cause analysis with customer facing issues and educating where gaps in test approach appear
- creating and improving automated tests
What we are looking for:
- critical & lateral thinking
- systematic & systems thinking
- a change agent with effective soft skills
- someone product focused - the ability to gain a deep understanding of the domain and our business over time
- the mindset to solve problems not symptoms
- a passion for testing and quality, and someone keen to share testing knowledge with others
- someone fast to adapt to constant changes and who can feel comfortable with it
- great communication skills, both within and outside the team
- curiosity in understanding the domain and system architecture
- deep understanding of testing principles and a variety of testing techniques and methods
- strong understanding of Agile
- an understanding of BDD
- proficiency in at least one programming language, Ruby experience is not essential. You’ll just need to be happy to cross-over to Ruby if you join us – and we’ll support you with that
- someone skilled in using a variety of testing tools at all levels in the testing pyramid
- someone who has worked with continuous integration tools
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental insurance
- travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.