Senior Software Engineer
Simply Business is planning to disrupt the US small business insurance market, building its first international business outside of the UK. Through blending a combination of technology, data and insurance knowledge, with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers, we are looking to simplify the insurance buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our startup team.
Develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
- Being hands-on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies
- Working with cross functional collaborative teams, helping to clarify requirements at the onset of projects and suggesting different and relevant technical approaches
- Championing Agile processes while creating amazingly useful systems in a collaborative way for our customers
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritization
- Being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies and ways of working
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
A handful of things we believe in:
- Continuous delivery - we currently release software to production around 14 times a day on average
- Cross functional teams – we believe in collaboration across the whole organization and we see Tech and Business teams as one team working together on projects (in fact, we even have our business product owners writing code).
- Continuous innovation - we do hackathons as one example to drive experimentation with new technologies and ways of working
- Never chaining ourselves to a technology - using the “right tool for the job”
What we are looking for:
- Strong programming skills in any language. We look for strong Engineers and our philosophy is that a strong Engineer is not defined by the technologies they use; therefore Ruby experience is not essential. You’ll just need to be happy to cross-over to Ruby if you join us – and we will support you with that
- The ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both tech and non-tech colleagues
- Understanding and appreciation of Agile methodologies
- Strong desire to work collaboratively with business teams. We do not divide ‘business’ and tech’ teams, we see both as one team as we are all working towards one shared goal
- Strong interpersonal skills to work well in our very open and friendly environment
- Pro-active in suggesting new tools, processes and technologies – anything which will help us continually improve!
- Someone who is excited about the way we work. You can read up on us here:
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
- Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
- Short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage
- Participation in the Company’s bonus program
- Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
- 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
- Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are outfitted for you to work when and how you choose) and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.