Senior Product Manager
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
Simply Business is planning to disrupt the US small business insurance market, building its first international business outside of the UK. Through blending a combination of technology, data and insurance knowledge, with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers, we are looking to simplify the insurance buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our startup team.
As a member of one of our product teams, you will be key to growing your product area and outcomes, by leading a team through discovery – establishing what the right thing to build is – to implementation and beyond.
As a Senior Product Manager you will own one or more products and be responsible for leading the full life-cycle of them, owning the vision, strategy and roadmap. You’ll take your product from ideation and discovery through design, delivery, preparation for launch, measuring of success, and iterations.
Working closely with Tech, you are ultimately responsible for making sure we’re building the right things for customers of your products. Your partners in Tech are responsible for making sure we build these things in the right way, but both of you care deeply about both things - it’s one team!
Finding and managing opportunities: You will - Work with your customers to identify problems to solve or opportunities for growth - Rapidly build knowledge of your domain and assess opportunities - Be inspired by new technology, competitors/like-minded businesses, future thinking, and more to suggest opportunities to improve Simply Business - Take responsibility for forming hypotheses and measures, and ensuring there is a backlog of epics with agreed priority - Proactively engage with stakeholders to define the strategy & direction for your Products - Formulate the vision, strategy and roadmap for your product area, ensuring alignment of strategic priorities and roadmap across entire product portfolio - Define KPIs to measure the success of your product - Manage relationships with any 3rd parties related to your product
Customer focused product design: You will - Lead stakeholder sessions to determine key customer outcomes - Lead product discovery to determine what the right thing to build is for your customers – supported by data and evidence – as quickly and cheaply as possible - Work with the business, technical and product teams to understand needs of your customers - Champion solutions that work for the customer and the business - Define use cases and user journeys
Delivery: You will - Work in close partnership with your team’s Technical lead - Lead the product design and builds to ensure we deliver in an efficient, cost effective manner - Prioritise and set the team direction, creating a sense of urgency and momentum - Write user stories and acceptance criteria - Product manage features through development, ensuring stakeholders are kept up to date - Break down your deliverables into smaller value chunks and iterate through delivery, releasing value early wherever possible - Work closely with Tech lead and team to plan sprints, releases and coordinate across dependent products
Launch: You will - Coordinate with key stakeholders to launch features (both externally and internally) - Monitor and measure the success of the feature/product - Lead decision on persist, iterate, or drop
Product Management Practice: You will - Provide leadership to continuously improve product management practice in your area - Proactively keep up to date with latest developments in product management thinking, process and techniques - Champion Build Measure Learn, creating a culture of innovation and continuous improvement within the product management discipline, especially in discovery and delivery methodologies. - Contribute towards hiring first rate product managers for your function and across SB - Set the example of what great product management looks like
What we are looking for:
- Proven experience in working out what the right things to build are (as opposed to being told what to build by someone else!)
- Extensive experience developing multiple complex products through full life cycle
- Someone who has worked with development teams to deliver amazing products with clearly measurable customer and business benefits
- Excellent stakeholder management and facilitation skills
- The ability to compromise in the right way
- Passion for product design and the experience to back up their views
- Ability to rapidly gain in-depth knowledge of your product’s domain
- Someone who loves collaboration and has experience in leading varied groups to swift decisions
- Extensive experience working with agile teams
- Someone who has good technical understanding – we don’t expect you to code, but you must understand how your products are technically architected and have an understanding of engineering and infrastructure best practices
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Someone who demonstrates ownership, responsiveness – a bias to action, and commitment
- Strong, fast prioritisation and decision-making skills
- Someone who is excited about the way we work. You can read up on us here:
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
- Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
- Short term disability, long term disability and life assurance coverage
- Participation in the Company’s bonus program
- Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
- 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
- Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose) and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it form there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.