Senior BizOps Infrastructure Engineer - Bank, London
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
You’ll be working in a team of engineers on the technical delivery of the Bizops infrastructure projects which enables Simply Business employees to do their jobs effectively.
As a Senior BizOps Infrastructure Engineer you will:
- be an architect with great judgement who can design and implement complex, company-wide systems infrastructure that are usable, scalable and reproducible
- have the ability to select appropriate technologies and vendors
- highlight areas for continuous improvement and drive their prioritisation
- work with the business to clarify requirements at the onset of projects and suggest different technical approaches
- work with the security team to discuss security issues and collaborate on solutions
- support and develop the Helpdesk team
- create useful and intuitive solutions, in a collaborative way, which drive self-service
- ensuring ongoing good results
- providing a clear focus to ensure that the work done is of high value and executed to the best possible standard
- delivering a smooth Google Meet experience with meticulous detail to variables such as the office internet bandwidth, Wi-Fi access point capacity, client device performance issues and speaker/headset setup
- guaranteeing phone call quality, network capacity and testing for WebRTC, which will be fundamental in a next generation phone system currently being developed, using Twilio, for the call centre
- migrating the current use of Active Directory into JumpCloud
- collaborating with the security team and all Simply Business departments to completely migrate to Google Drive for file storage
- addressing office moves, refurbishments and growth
- maintaining the quality of office dynamics, such as uniformly setting up employee desks to cater for hot desking
- iterating and automating the provisioning, deployment and continuous integration of Macs, Dell laptops and Chromebooks
What we are looking for:
- proven architectural skills
- Google Apps - including use of API’s and migration projects
- vendor relationship managemen
- knowledge of Cloud/SaaS technology adoption and practices such as AWS
- Windows and Linux systems administration, as well as provisioning and deployment of Widnows, OSX and Chromebook
- knowledge of internet protocols and networking (Cisco Meraki, MPLS)
- coding skills in any language
- the ability to work with business teams and stakeholders (including managing expectations and being clear about priorities)
- experience with Software defined networks
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.