US General Counsel
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
Simply Business is planning to disrupt the US small business insurance market, building its first international business outside of the UK. Through blending a combination of technology, data and insurance knowledge, with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers, we are looking to simplify the insurance buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colourful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our startup team.
You will be the General Counsel, reporting into the Simply Business USA CEO. You will be the subject matter expert on all US legal matters. You will take on both a legal and business role, which includes negotiating business-crucial technology and commercial contracts, as well as advising on insurance, technology licensing, service agreements and other generalist matters. You will be visible as a business advisor, supporting and building key relationships with various teams such as commercial, product, marketing, HR, compliance and senior management. You will work fairly autonomously in this role and will thrive in a professional but less corporate environment.
You will be the US qualified senior lawyer, ideally with strong in-house and preferably international experience in a position of responsibility. General Counsel experience would be excellent, as would an understanding of UK and other international jurisdictions. You will have a strong commercial background, with sound technical skills, excellent negotiating ability, but also the ability to manage senior stakeholders and stand fast in the event of challenge from the business. Supporting teams, you will be a business facilitator, with the ability to not only identify problems but also propose solutions. Also, the Designated/Responsible Licensed Producer license must be obtained, with the company’s full support, within the first 90 days of employment.
- Build strong relationships with the various business functions and provide daily legal support to them
- Collaborate with fellow leaders, both within the group legal department and in the US business, to devise efficient and effective strategies for the provision of legal services to the business
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and support commercial and contract issues across the business
- Assist the business in navigating complex issues with an output and delivery focus
- Draft and negotiate contracts with suppliers, carriers and customers
- Manage disputes with third parties
- Deliver relevant legal training or legal playbooks as needed to the business
- Manage external counsel where appropriate
What we are looking for:
- Juris Doctorate required from an accredited law school required
- Substantial proven legal experience, preferably as in-house counsel
- Proven experience working in a fast growing, ambiguous environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Willingness to become familiar with new areas of law, to practice as a generalist, and to learn key aspects of the company’s business
- Possess substantive legal knowledge in a wide variety of relevant areas of law applicable to the company’s business, including marketing, regulatory, compliance, commercial, and corporate transactional matters
- Proven experience negotiating and drafting contracts
- International experience preferred
- Experience as in-house legal counsel in a “start-up” environment or legal consulting experience for “start-up” clients
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to handle and resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- Ability to function independently as well as within a team environment
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality
- Someone who is excited about the way we work. You can read up on us here:
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
- Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
- Short term disability, long term disability and life assurance coverage
- Participation in the Company’s bonus program
- Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
- 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
- Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose) and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it form there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.