Product ManagerApply now
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
This role would suit an experienced Product Manager with a strong background in dual-track product development and a fantastic track record in delivering significant outcomes for customers and the business.
Far from fulfilling a musty insurance stereotype, we’ve created a colourful, collaborative working environment. In our head office in central London you will find a casual dress code, flexible working hours, and an open-plan office. You will also find cross-departmental teams working on exciting projects, releasing new products quickly to change the traditional insurance market.
Unlike other companies you will not be a tiny cog in a corporate machine, but a key part of the business and its growth. Because we believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures, we keep our start-up roots and entrepreneurialism at our heart, and give our employees the freedom and support to pursue what they’re interested in.
As a Product Manager you will:
- be a member of one of our product teams. You’ll be key to growing your product area and outcomes, leading a team through experiment-driven discovery – establishing what the right thing to build is – to implementation and beyond
- join us at an exciting time, as we take our existing products and evolve them to unlock new growth and opportunities. This role is critical in establishing what those opportunities are and delivering the right changes to meet them
- be responsible for leading the full life-cycle of your product area, owning the vision, strategy and roadmap. You’ll take your product from ideation and discovery through to design, delivery, preparation for launch, measuring of success, and iterations
- work closely with our Technology teams, ultimately responsible for making sure we're building the right things for customers of your products. Your partners in Technology are responsible for making sure we build these things in the right way, but both of you care deeply about both areas. It’s one team!
Responsibilities include - Finding and managing opportunities, you will:
- work with your customers to identify problems to solve or opportunities for growth
- rapidly build knowledge of your domain and assess opportunities
- be inspired by new technology, competitors/like-minded businesses, future thinking, and more, suggesting opportunities to improve Simply Business
- take responsibility for forming hypotheses and measures, and ensuring there is a backlog of epics with agreed priority
- proactively engage with stakeholders to define the strategy and direction for your products
- formulate the vision, strategy and roadmap for your product area, ensuring alignment of strategic priorities and roadmap across our entire product portfolio
- define KPIs to measure the success of your product
- manage relationships with any related 3rd parties
Customer focused product design, you will:
- manage product discovery to determine what to build for your customers – supported by data and evidence – as quickly and cost-effectively as possible
- lead the team to test ideas and prototypes with customers every week
- lead stakeholder sessions to determine key customer outcomes
- work with the business, technical and product teams to understand the needs of your customers
- champion solutions that work for the customer and the business
- define user cases and journeys
Delivery, you will
- work in close partnership with your team’s Technical lead
- lead the product design and builds to ensure we deliver in an efficient, cost effective way
- prioritise and set the team direction, creating a sense of urgency and momentum
- write user stories and acceptance criteria
- product manage features through development, ensuring stakeholders are kept up-to-date
- break down your deliverables into smaller value chunks and iterate through delivery, releasing value early wherever possible
- work closely with your Technical lead and team to plan sprints, releases and coordinate across dependent products
Launch, you will:
- coordinate with key stakeholders to launch features (externally and internally)
- monitor and measure the success of the feature/product
- lead decisions on ‘persist, iterate, or drop’
Product Management Practice, you will:
- provide leadership to continuously improve product management practice in your area
- proactively keep up-to-date with the latest developments in product management thinking, process and techniques
- champion Build Measure Learn, creating a culture of innovation and continuous improvement within the product management discipline, especially in discovery and delivery methodologies
- contribute towards hiring first-rate product managers for your function and across Simply Business
- set the example of what great product management looks like
What we are looking for:
- a product manager with proven experience in working out what the right things to build are (as opposed to being told what to build by someone else!)
- strong commercial acumen
- extensive experience in developing multiple, complex products through full life cycle
- someone who has worked with development teams to deliver amazing products with clearly measurable customer and business benefits
- excellent stakeholder management and facilitation skills
- ability to compromise in the right way
- passion for product design, and the experience to back up your views
- demonstrable ability to rapidly gain in-depth knowledge of your product’s domain
- someone who loves collaboration, and has experience in leading varied groups to swift decisions
- extensive experience in working with Agile teams
- good technical understanding – we don’t expect you to code, but you must understand how your products are technically architected and have an understanding of engineering and infrastructure best practices
- excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- strong problem-solving skills
- someone who demonstrates ownership, and responsiveness – a bias to action, and commitment
- strong, fast prioritisation and decision-making skills
- experience in the insurance industry is desirable but not essential
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiencesApply now