Engineering Lead - London
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
As a Engineering Lead you will:
- work with small, cross-functional, collaborative teams to drive out requirements, highlight risks and prioritise stories
- work with team members to identify areas for learning and helping them grow in these areas via project work, external learning, or additional mentoring
- being hands on in developing our products using best practices, and appropriate tools and technologies
- leading a small project team of engineers based in London and Boston
- championing agile methodologies whilst creating useful systems for our customers in a collaborative way
- highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies, and ways of working
What we are looking for:
- experience of leading a small team of Engineers.
- strong programming skills in any language. We look for strong engineers and ur philosophy is that a strong engineer is not defined by the technologies they use, so Ruby experience is not essential. You’ll just need to be happy to cross-over to Ruby if you join us – and we’ll support you with that
- the ability to challenge us! We love people who come in and aren’t afraid to raise questions and help us improve
- strong communication and collaborative skills and strong desire to liaise closely with business teams
- an advocate of engineering best practices
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental insurance
- travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.