Business Intelligence DeveloperApply now
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a BI Developer to join us in London.
Help us drive the effective use of data within our organisation, aligning with business and commercial strategy while supporting operations. This is part of an exciting journey for our team, as we put in place the organisation, processes and tools to transform the way our business works.
We believe in the power of data to transform and improve any system, be it a single team, or for the organisation as a whole. We see Tech and Business as one team working together on projects (in fact, we even have our business product owners writing code). We do twice yearly hackathons as one example to drive experimentation with new technologies and ways of working.
As a BI Developer you will:
- Act as an information evangelist, developing relationships across Senior Management, Finance, Product and Commercial teams to continue developing our data driven culture
- Design, implement, and maintain MI and self-serve tools, enabling fast and easy access to the right information at the right time
- Become a trusted domain expert in the business & commercial space
- Collect requirements; prioritising, designing and delivering innovative new data solutions to business and commercial problems
- Establish firm domain responsibilities for data lineage and negotiate appropriate structures to be built into the wider systems architecture
- Advocate for the business view within the team, to deliver maximum value
- Oversee and drive data integration requirements
- Design reports / dashboards whilst training and supporting users
- Support business users through ad hoc analysis; interpreting and anticipating their needs and using business and data skills to provide recommendations for continuous improvement
- Support operational processes and teams leveraging data and tools
- Contribute to wider process and architectural discussions, leveraging the unique position we hold in the data & analysis team to see across business functions.
What we are looking for:
- A passion for data and how it can be used to change a business. You should be enthusiastic about spreading this passion far and wide in our business to bring people along on the journey with us
- Solid experience in data architecture, including data warehousing and a variety of modelling techniques (multidimensional modelling desirable)
- Knowledge of financial processes and planning tools
- Experience liaising with senior management and understanding how data supports business and commercial strategy
- Strong product orientation, with a relentless focus on delivering business value
- Strong SQL, data modelling and visualisation skills, as well as experience using reporting tools. Knowledge of SQL Server stack desirable
- Experience collecting requirements from business users, turning these into technical designs and negotiating the architectural implications of proposed changes
- Strong analytical skills, a precise eye for detail, and an ability to connect the dots
- A working knowledge of the software engineering domain
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiencesApply now