UK General Counsel - London
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Thanks for your interest, but unfortunately this role is no longer available. For open positions, check out our jobs board. For more on what it’s like to work at Simply Business, pay a visit to our careers hub.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 425,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
You will be the UK qualified senior lawyer, ideally with strong in-house and preferably international experience in a position of responsibility. General Counsel experience would be excellent, as would an understanding of UK and other international jurisdictions.
We are currently expanding our operation in the US, having recently been acquired by Travelers. You will have a strong commercial background, with sound technical skills, excellent negotiating ability, but also the ability to manage senior stakeholders and stand fast in the event of challenge from the business.
Supporting teams, you will be a business facilitator, with the ability to not only identify problems but also propose solutions.
As a UK General Counsel you will:
- be the UK General Counsel, reporting into the Simply Business Group Legal Director
- be the subject matter expert on all UK legal matters
- take on both a legal and business role, which includes negotiating business-crucial technology and commercial contracts, as well as advising on insurance, regulatory, technology licensing, service agreements and other generalist matters
- be visible as a business advisor, supporting and building key relationships with various teams such as commercial, product, marketing, people, compliance and senior management
- have a team of two reports initially, expanding as the UK operation grows.
- work autonomously in this role and will thrive in a professional but less corporate environment
- building strong relationships with the various business functions and provide daily legal support to them
- collaborating with fellow leaders, both within the group legal department, the UK business and Travelers, to devise efficient and effective strategies for the provision of legal services to the business
- providing expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and support commercial and contract issues across the business
- assisting the business in navigating complex issues with an output and delivery focus
- drafting and negotiating contracts with suppliers, carriers and customers
- manage disputes with third parties
- delivering relevant legal training or legal playbooks as needed to the business
- managing external counsel where appropriate
What we are looking for:
- substantial proven legal experience, preferably as in-house counsel
- proven experience working in a fast growing, ambiguous environment
- excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and leadership skills
- willingness to become familiar with new areas of law, to practice as a generalist, and to learn key aspects of the company’s business
- possess substantive legal knowledge in a wide variety of relevant areas of law applicable to the company’s business, including marketing, regulatory, compliance, commercial, and corporate transactional matters
- proven experience negotiating and drafting contracts & setting up an effective contract management system/process
- international experience preferred
- experience as in-house legal counsel in a “start-up” environment or legal consulting experience for “start-up” clients
- the ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- the ability to handle and resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- the ability to function independently as well as within a team environment
- evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.