Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Senior Underwriter to join us in London. As a key member of our in-house MGA Team, you’ll be working with our capacity providers aswell as operations, marketing, development and our product teams to drive profitable growth and reinvent our products to make sure our customers get exactly what they need.
This position will suit a candidate with a strong underwriting background, and a proven track record of building and preserving relationships. Things move quickly at Simply Business, so working at pace will be a key strength of yours.
Empowerment and learning are important to us - you’ll have autonomy to make decisions on what we execute on while being accountable for results, ultimately playing a pivotal role in driving our continued success.
As a Senior Underwriter you will:
- underwrite at a macro level a range of commercial SME products including, but not limited to, tradesmen & construction, property owners, retail, officeand professional indemnity
- be as comfortable stepping into projects to help change both MGA processes and Simply Business as a whole as you are underwriting a book of business
- provide support and be a sounding board for other members of the team in their day to day work
- support our Head of Underwriting to develop our UK MGA capability grow at the pace we require, whilst maintaining a profitable book of business
- wesponsibility for underwriting performance of all products within our in-house MGA
- driving the function of the MGA within Simply Business, including driving new initiatives, products and opportunities
- working with others to set the future strategy for the MGA
- leading our underwriting relationship with our capacity providers, building a strong and credible relationship with key underwriting contacts
- assisting our US team develop their underwriting capability
- occasionally travelling to Northampton where our contact centre is based
What we are looking for:
- at least 8 years underwriting experience (either commercial or personal lines), including experience of portfolio underwriting in an online environment
- completion or near completion of ACII qualification
- experience of managing the performance of a book of business
- someone who is just as happy negotiating with senior teams at large insurers as you are working with our technical team in our contact centre
- a confident person who possesses the intellect, approachability and personality to influence and gain credibility internally and with our insurer partners
- leadership skills to influence our direction, decisions and execution
- a fresh perspective, someone who will challenge insurance industry norms
- someone who demonstrates ownership, responsiveness, a bias to action, and commitment
- a natural innovator, bringing ideas to drive growth
- a dedication to delivering the maximum impact with the minimum effort, releasing value early wherever possible, creating a sense of urgency and momentum
- the ability to drive continuous improvement to ensure that we’re meeting the needs of our customers, Simply Business, and our capacity providers
- a strong contributor towards a good team becoming a great team
- someone passionate about what they do and is excited about the way we work
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental insurance
- travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.