Data Engineer (BI)Apply now
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Data Engineer to join us in London.
As a team we are responsible for…
The Data and Analytics team at Simply Business has a mission to empower the company to create value through data. The Business and Commercial team are a key part of this – they create and provide actionable information to help executives and managers make informed business decisions.
That team includes Data Engineers, Data Solutions Engineers, BI Developers and BI Analysts. They are the main drivers of the business intelligence and self-serve analytics capabilities of our world-class data platform.
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Help design, build and maintain our business and commercial products, including:
- data warehouses and data lakes
- business intelligence and analytics platform
- tools and solutions for ingesting, transforming and consuming data
- you will support and empower teams to get the most out of the platform
- being hands-on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools and technologies
- highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritisation
- being proactive in collaborating and communicating with your colleagues near you and in other offices
- championing data thinking while creating amazingly useful systems in a collaborative way for our customers
What we are looking for:
- experience building and maintaining data warehouses and developing ETL pipelines
- intermediate or advanced fluency in SQL
- coding experience is highly valued, especially for API integrations. In the Data and Analytics team we use Ruby, Scala and Python but you don’t need experience in all of them. If you're happy to learn them, we will support you
- strong interpersonal skills to work well in our very open and friendly environment
- the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to both tech and non-tech colleagues
- understanding and appreciation of agile and lean methodologies
- strong desire to work collaboratively with business teams. We do not divide ‘business’ and ‘tech’ teams, we see both as one team as we are all working towards one shared goal
- proactive in suggesting new tools, processes and technologies...anything which will help us continually improve!
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiencesApply now