Principal EngineerApply now
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need a Principal engineer
Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
The Agile manifesto
SB is growing into a digital, global insurance company, with the skills, the knowledge and the ambition to do so; technology plays a crucial role in shaping and forming our strategy to accomplish it. We are one of the original InsurTechs.
As a team of more than 150 engineers distributed across four countries and more than 20 teams, we know that the fastest way to fulfil our ambitions is to build high-quality products at pace. We achieve those goals by defining our techniques, improving individual skills and the ways the team(s) collaborate.
In other words: we remove constraints
As a principal engineer you will focus on
- Leading the enterprise architectural standardization process within the organization and progressing the state of the platform
- Support and coordinate tech excellence initiatives of distributed teams across different timezones
- Work with the senior product and tech leadership to evolve the tech excellence function and to influence priorities and objectives
- Design solutions in partnership with product team using the latest technologies while suggesting the best tools, technologies and processes to do the job
- Supporting and leading coaching around internal/best practices
- Being hands-on in developing our products using coding/architectural best practices, appropriate tools, and technologies across multiple stacks
- Championing agile methodologies whilst creating amazingly useful systems in a collaborative way for our customers
- A strong focus on testing, learning and measuring to get to product/market fit as quickly as possible (BML and Lean Startup)
- Working with cross-functional collaborative teams, helping to clarify requirements of projects and suggesting different and relevant technical approaches
- Working with the technology teams based in different countries
What we are looking for
- Demonstrable experience of leading and delivering successful, high availability, high quality, high-performance architectures involving a wide variety of systems and technologies
- Experience in a diverse and broad set of enterprise architectures, frameworks and solutions with the ability to challenge established ideas
- Ability to communicate and influence C-Level stakeholders
- Experience of defining architectural standards within the organisation
- Strong influencing skills
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiencesApply now