Financial Accountant - 6 Month FTCApply now
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
As a team our primary responsible is to correctly allocate the Revenue income we receive from our customers.
This includes producing month end reconciliations to report the income generated, financial journals to the general ledgers to accurately reflect all revenue movements and complete monthly reports to our insurers detailing gross income, tax and commission.
We require a Financial Accountant to join the Revenue Accounting Team, within the Finance Department. We require someone who has an outstanding eye for detail, exceptional accuracy, will use their own initiative, who is highly organised and has the ability to prioritise their own workload.
As the Financial Accountant you will be responsible for:
- Processing journals and adjustments to general ledgers relating to Revenue
- Produce supporting documentation relevant to adjustments
- Complete weekly and monthly accounting controls for all processes within Revenue Team
- Calculate gross, commission, Insurer Tax and net insurer payments
- Produce and complete financial and operational reconciliations for month end and update reporting to Senior Stakeholders
- Provide accurate and timely reporting to all areas of the Finance Department
- Authorise BACS and Insurer payments
- Support Revenue Team with cover for completing Operational Matching, Refunds (BACS & Cheques), Insurer Processing
- Compile and produce Insurer Reporting, set up Insurer Payments and investigate Insurer queries
- Provide Finance knowledge to colleagues with/without finance background
- Be a support to take on adhoc tasks and project related work where required
- Provide support to the Head of Revenue Accounting & Revenue Accounting Manager deputising where required
- Work with the Head of Revenue Accounting & Revenue Accounting Manager on finance initiatives and process improvements
- Available to support any other tasks/processes within the Revenue Accounting Team as requested by the Head of RA
What we are looking for:
- Newly Qualified / Finalist Accountant with ACCA/CIMA
- 1-2 years PQE in an accounting/financial environment
- Strong Core Management Accountant Skills
- Experience with Accounting Controls, Balance Sheet Reconciliations & raising financial journals
- Experience with investigation into accounting differences/variances
- Experience to report financial movements to Financial & Non Financial Management
- Excellent understanding of how to communicate to different levels of staff both financial & non financial
- Excellent understanding of numerical analysis, reconciliations, manipulation of data and problem solving
- Exceptional attention to detail, interpersonal & communication skills
- Strong organisation, prioritisation & time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Skills to work in partnership with all areas of the business
- Capable to manage confidential data in a professional and sensitive way
- Advanced understanding of MS Office, particularly Excel
- Strong knowledge of using multiple IT systems
- Experience of working in a fast paced, changing environment and open to continuous change
- Flexible to support Head of Revenue Accounting and deputise when required
- Flexible to changing priorities and support the Revenue Accounting Team
- Openly able to communicate with all members of the team
- Team Player, with the ability to work with and support colleagues within team
- Provide belief to team, showing reliance and trust
- Positive “Can Do” attitude, with the willingness to learn
- Key Learner, open to changing roles and responsibilities
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretchthemselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customerstime andeffort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiencesApply now