From hungry rats to untidy nieces, these have to be seen to be believed.
Those who need to complete a Self Assessment have until January 31st to submit their tax return. A clear enough deadline, it’s nonetheless one that poses problems for some; the temptation to concoct an elaborate excuse for their tardiness becoming too much.
Keen to buy themselves a little more time or convince the taxman at appeal, here’s some of the worst excuses HMRC’s received from those filing late …
1. My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them.
2. I’m not a paperwork-orientated person - I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out.
3. My accountant has been ill.
4. My dog ate my tax return.
5. I will be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so will be unable to file.
6. My laptop broke, so did my washing machine.
7. My niece had moved in - she made the house so untidy I could not find my log-in details to complete my return online.
8. My husband ran over my laptop.
9. I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for five years.
10. I had a cold which took a long time to go.
Unbelievable, eh? To spare yourself from joining next year’s list, check out our five tips for a stress-free Self Assessment.
Number 9 is our favourite - what’s yours? Let us know in the comments section below.