The winter weather is causing chaos across the UK, so what steps should you take if you need to make a claim?
Step one - attempt to prevent further damage
In the aftermath of a storm and in any subsequent flooding, it’s wise to try and prevent further damage. Doing this should make for a smoother claims process, and hopefully ease the strain. Try to…
- Make simple emergency repairs: If possible take photographs of the damage first and keep all quotes and receipts.
- Leave dangerous work such as fixing the roof to professionals
- Turn the power off, if safe, in flooded premises
- Ensure your premises are safe and secure before leaving to prevent further loss
- Keep damaged items for evidence of a claim.
Step two - get in contact
Reaching us easy, and there’s a couple of ways you can make your claim.
Using our simple form, you can make a claim online at any time, and from there our specialist team will give you a call back to get the ball rolling. Alternatively you can ring us on 0333 207 0560, where we’re available 24 hours a day. Just make sure your policy number is to hand when you give us a call.
Step three - fill in the gaps
Once you’ve got in touch and made your claim you’ll receive a dedicated claims handler, who you’ll discuss the finer details of your claim with. They’ll manage your claim from start to finish, and will be on hand to provide advice and guidance throughout.
Step four - review your claim
The next step will be to provide supporting information that’ll help validate your claim. For this we’ll need:
- The exact date of loss
- Photographs or videos of the damage
- Circumstances of how the damage occurred
- A list of the damaged items
- A quote to replace/repair the damaged goods
On top of this a loss adjustor may visit you too, as their expertise can prove invaluable with complex storm and flood claims.
Step five - get a decision
Once the above information has been received, our claims team will review in full. If your claim is accepted, then a settlement can be made within 24 hours via a BACS transfer, or an approved contractor will start the repair work needed to get you back on your feet.
That’s about it. If you have any further questions let us know in the comments section below, or contact our claims team directly on 0333 207 0560.