Professional Indemnity Insurance

We’ll run you a quick, tailored quote right now online

Start your quote

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance can provide you with cover for claims made against you, due to a problem with your work or professional advice. For example, it could protect you against a client’s compensation claim for negligence or mistakes and cover the potentially expensive legal costs.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

If your business gives advice, offers a professional service or handles data or intellectual property belonging to a client or business, you could need professional indemnity insurance. For solicitors, accountants, architects, chartered surveyors, financial advisors and some healthcare professionals, professional indemnity is a legal requirement.

Our consultant Hattie explains the ins and outs of professional indemnity, and why cover is key for so many small businesses.

Compare PI insurance quotes today

We firmly believe you should have confidence in your expertise and trade. But when it comes to work, everybody makes mistakes. Professional indemnity insurance – or PI insurance for short - is there to protect you if your client suffers a financial loss through your work for them. Using one simple form, Simply Business will help you arrange this cover as part of your full business insurance policy, or coupled with public liability insurance – whatever suits you. Compare professional indemnity insurance quotes below and find a tailored policy in minutes.

Get protected in minutes

Why Simply Business?

  • We’re the UK’s biggest business insurance provider
  • All settled claims paid within 24 hours
  • 9/10 ratings say we’re good (or excellent)
  • 300,000 customers (and counting)
  • Claims handled by an award-winning team
  • Quote comparisons available from multiple insurers
  • We run things from an expert, UK-based contact centre

Our cover providers

We work with the top insurance companies to find you the best possible deal for your cover.

A quick claim example

One of your employees has accidentally sent an email containing confidential client information to the wrong person. Your client is now suing you for breach of confidentiality.

  • What was covered?

    The professional indemnity claim cost of £35,000, including legal costs.

  • What wasn’t covered?

    The £250 excess (this is the part of the claim you pay), plus any costs for damaged reputation or loss of future contracts.

Choose your level of cover

At Simply Business, our professional indemnity cover levels start at £50,000 and stretch into the millions – but how do you choose the right figure for you and your contracts?

Your clients will often tell you the level of cover they need you to have in place. If they haven’t, it’s always worth asking them before you take on the work, so you’re both prepared, and any changes can be checked with your professional indemnity insurance provider. Other smart details to check are the exclusions on your policy, and whether it includes legal expenses cover. As with most things, it’s best to do this before you buy.

From accountants to architects, surveyors and consultants, our panel can provide insurance options for a range of professions.

Customer testimonials

Our customer rating is very important to us. Our score is based on the reviews we’ve collected on Feefo, the independent customer research specialist. For more details read our reviews.

Powered by Feefo

“Excellent, personalised, prompt response to my unusual requirements. Problem solved in no time, confirmed immediately by email - extremely pleasant manner and tone”

J Peters, IT consultant

Have you got everything covered?

Making sure you have the right cover is incredibly important. We have outlined some core and related insurance covers to help you decide what it is right for you.

  • Public liability

    This cover protects a business if a customer or member of the public was to suffer a loss or injury as a result of its business activities and if that person made a claim for compensation.

    Read more
  • Employers’ liability

    If you employ staff you must take out Employers’ Liability Insurance by law. This cover is designed to protect the interests of employees in terms of illness or accident at work.

    Read more
  • Landlord insurance

    Conventional home insurance policies aren’t designed to cover rental activities. Landlord Insurance helps you to protect yourself, your assets, and your tenants.

    Read more