Lead Data Engineer - London
Being part of our tech team means rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty. Technology is a defining part of Simply Business – we’re known for our cutting-edge tactics – and as such our culture has built up around it.
You’ll be in the driving seat, developing the products our customers rely on, championing best practices, experimenting with new tools and solutions and living our Agile and Build/Measure/Learn methodologies.
If you’re smart, passionate about technology and enjoy solving complex technical challenges then you should apply to join our award-winning team. We have the very best of the best already working here, and are looking to grow.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will be a key part of the award-winning, international data team that are doing some really exciting things with the latest Big Data and analytics technologies.
As a Lead Data Engineer you will:
- have overall responsibility for our data platform architecture, working closely with the rest of the data team and the cross-functional development teams as they iterate on our core products. You will have a big impact on how we scale it, make it multi-region and evolve it in the future
- lead the development of our data platform by enabling and guiding an experienced team of developers who work on multiple projects simultaneously
- collaborate with business stakeholders and the rest of the tech team to refine and prioritise stories, making sure we balance new features with maintenance
- be hands on and develop alongside the team. Around 50% of your time should be spent coding or performing development tasks
- being an expert in our data platform, taking overall responsible for the long-term technology architecture vision and ensuring that features that are added fit into that vision
- providing technical and architectural oversight across multiple projects simultaneously
- supporting the track by removing obstacles and helping the rest of the team deliver their stories
- working with the stakeholders to prioritise tasks within a track and allocating resources effectively
- being hands-on and working on stories alongside the other data engineer
What we are looking for:
- experience as tech lead or similar
- experience building and maintaining event-based architectures or streaming pipelines
- a strong programming background in Scala or Java
- experience modelling and evolving complex data structures
- real passion for big data and streaming technologies
- the ability to challenge us! We want people who can come in and shape the future of this business, not afraid to raise questions and help us improve.
Nice, but not necessary:
- experience working with distributed teams across time zones.
- experience in real-time analytics and streaming platforms (Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, etc)
- experience with Ruby
- experience using document databases, especially MongoDB
- experience with graph databases like Neo4j
- experience running machine learning pipelines in production
- experience using Amazon Web Service
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.