Business Intelligence Developer - Bank, London
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea. It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 400,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We are looking for a Business Intelligence Developer to join the UK’s largest online business insurance broker, currently insuring around 430,000 SMEs and landlords.
You will be part of a growing and influential analytics team and will be asked to bring your ideas and skills to help us turn our data into competitive advantage. This role will suit you if you love working in fast-moving teams, are not afraid to write code, and are passionate about how data can lead to effective business change.
We are doing some really exciting things with both Microsoft BI and Big Data technologies and we are working hard to make our analytics agile, robust and effective.
As a Business Intelligence Developer you will:
- be part of a team that is transforming the use of data within our organisation, with a clear strategy aligned to our business goals and current operations
- building out and maintaining our data warehouse, including the database, ETL pipelines and cube structures
- liaising with business stakeholders, particularly our Finance team, to collect requirements and ensure the data warehouse and other tools align to their needs
- contributing to design discussions to steer our development efforts to the most effective outcomes
- enabling self-serve reporting for users as well as designing and building more complex reports
What we are looking for:
- experience writing scripts and Stored Procedures in SQL
- experience designing and developing ETL packages using Integration Services (SSIS)
- experience developing cubes using Analysis Services (SSAS) with knowledge of MDX an advantage.
- the ability to build effective relationships with a variety of business people and to communicate technical ideas in terms they can understand.
- the ability to elicit requirements from the business and turn them into technical designs
- knowledge of dimensional modelling and physical design of relational and multidimensional databases.
Nice, but not essential:
- knowledge of Python or Scala
- experience with real-time analytics and streaming platforms (Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams, etc).
- knowledge of Data Visualisation techniques
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
- a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
- life cover (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
- a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
- an extra day off if you get married or move house
- a stakeholder pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
- a full gym membership
- private medical insurance
- cinema passes
- up to 5 extra days annual leave
- shopping vouchers
- dental and/or travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, childcare vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, cheeky manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
The Simply Business culture is truly unique. And you sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there.
How to Apply
If you are interested in working for us, then please email your application to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for roles based in the US, quoting the specific job role in the subject line.
Note for recruitment agencies We have an internal team in place for our recruitment needs, so we tend not to use recruitment agencies. If we do not have signed terms of agreement with your company, then we advise against you sending us any speculative candidate profiles. They will not be subject to any terms and conditions, regardless of whether we progress with the candidate.